1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas for linking Art/D&T with the Olympics or Jubilee (year 3/4 class)

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by meeky chunky, Apr 9, 2012.

1. meeky chunky

meeky chunky New commenter

Am just returning to teaching after a bit of time away and would love to incorporate the Jubilee or Olympics (pref both) into Art and D&T this term. Any ideas big or small would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

We have just designed our own Olympic school mascots. The children have come up with some really great ideas and given reasons as to why they've chosen the things they have.. e.g. the 5 pointed crown on his head represents the 5 golden rules..

3. I agree with hyperbunny..Mascots will be a good idea!

4. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Olympology.......... set around the ideal of Monopoly but olympic based places and disciplines (could be London or could incorporate games from over the years. .... A Board Game to fit into a box. I have done similar to this and it turned out amazing with year 8s.

Banners great in silk or fabric paints. Even straight forward sport painting would be good. Figurative action paintings and drawings.

5. What about getting the children to design their own Olympic Medal for an Olympic sport of their choice - the children can spend time researching previous medals and then designing their own using clay or plaster! I have year 3/4 and will be incorporating athletes in motion - creating a montage and then DT to link with Olympic Torch designs and medal making!
    Hope this helps!
    I do have planning for this is you like??

6. Hi,

I am currently leading an art & design academy (Year 3 mostly) and would LOVE to see your plans for the projects you mention above...

My email is mroux192@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks! :)

7. I'm going to be getting my Art groups to make Olympic hats! They will be based on different sports, the Olympic rings, the bigger and crazier the better and we are going to parade them on our sports day!

8. Hi. I have just taken on the role of creative learning and as part of this I am hoping to have an Olympic/jubilee week for the whole school (primary). If you do have any plans I would be truly grateful for them. Thanks.