1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas for a shopping lesson?!

Discussion in 'Geography' started by paul0803, Dec 12, 2011.

1. paul0803

paul0803 New commenter

Evening All,
    I have a bottom year 8 class who are currently doing shopping. I havent a scoobies what to do with them next. The geog books are too high level for them.
    I played supermarket sweep type game to get them to understand difference between Comparison and Convience goods but not to sure what to do now?!
    This is the last lesson before xmas.
    Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks, Paul

2. paul0803

paul0803 New commenter

Evening All,
    I have a bottom year 8 class who are currently doing shopping. I havent a scoobies what to do with them next. The geog books are too high level for them.
    I played supermarket sweep type game to get them to understand difference between Comparison and Convience goods but not to sure what to do now?!
    This is the last lesson before xmas.
    Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks, Paul

3. Assuming you have covered the other things to do with the shopping topic which are mentioned in the scheme of work, you could try getting the pupils to work in groups (no more than 4 really) to make a poster for revision purposes (although you would probably have to provide the pictures and magazines for then kids to cut up). They could then present these to the rest of the class or you could do a peer assessment lesson based on these.

Make sure you have success criteria (to do with the national curriculum levels) and share this with the kids so they know what is expected of them (for example relevant pictures/info, how detailed in the information in the presentation is etc.)

I did this with my low ability year 8 sets and they really enjoyed it (although with the presentations etc, it might take a bit longer than just one lesson).

Alternatively, if you have access to computers/laptops you could check out this website. http://www.oup.com/uk/geog.world/ (click on go and then geog.1 on the side- there's a bit on there to do with 'changing the way we shop')

OR if you have covered sweatshops with them could try sim* sweatshop (http://www.simsweatshop.com/). Did that with my low ability year 9s (when looking at globalisation). They had a little worksheet to fill out to do with the info and case studies on there (under the what's the story link) and then I let them play the game where they have to make trainers.

4. Also, sorry if this sounds a bit patronising as you are possibly a far more experienced teacher than me (I'm still looking for an NQT post), but the web links might be helpful for people anyway.

5. nikki_louise

nikki_louise New commenter

I taught around 4 lessons on shopping in my first placement with my year 10s and the geneal themese you could apply to your year 8s I am sure.
    I did a lesson on comparing out of town shopping in America- the huge malls to what we have in this country- Mall of America would make the students interested with its theme park in the store compared to the likes of Bluewater, lakeside etc.
    You could also look into something at Mary Portas and link that in with the changing high street since that is so relevant now?

6. nikki_louise

nikki_louise New commenter

I taught around 4 lessons on shopping in my first placement with my year 10s and the geneal themese you could apply to your year 8s I am sure.
    I did a lesson on comparing out of town shopping in America- the huge malls to what we have in this country- Mall of America would make the students interested with its theme park in the store compared to the likes of Bluewater, lakeside etc.
    You could also look into something at Mary Portas and link that in with the changing high street since that is so relevant now?

7. fella

fella New commenter

Maybe develop ideas of shopping changes.
    Out of town shopping - Bluewater, Metro centre, etc. Explain what makes a good site and center and get them to desgn their own.
    Internet shopping - how it works. Use shopping list from earlier lessons (comparison/convenience) and find what they would/could buy online??