1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas for a plenary activity where kids produce their own sentences?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jessbgirl, Mar 17, 2012.

1. jessbgirl

jessbgirl New commenter

Hi all,
    I am planning for an observed lesson and am now wondering how I could do a quick plenary where I would get the kids to write sentences using words and expressions covered during the lesson. As I like my plenaries to be interactive, I was wondering if any of you had used an activity before that would work with pretty much any topic and get the kids focussed and competitive until the end of the lesson. The lesson is for a top set Y9. I have planned to do a lot of speaking already so am looking for some writing activities only.
    Thank you in advance for your help,
    Jess

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Alternatively, a top set might like to include two words in sentences. Give them odd combinations with a couple of minutes each e.g. éléphant vin.
    Or how about written word assocuation? Make a list - who can do longest?
    Or aural anagrams: you spell out words with letters in wrong order, they have to write them down and guess word. Two teams? Use words which will feature in your lesson. Quite controlling, but studenst enjoy this activity.

3. Hi
    I actually teach EFL abroad but the idea can be used with any language. Instead of isolated vocabulary, I teach my kids 'functional word groups'. They can use these like 'lego bricks' to build other sentences, albeit sometimes grammatically incorrect. That doesn't matter, because they can improve their efforts under guidance of the teachers or peers. If you think about it, that's exacltly how infants learn their native language.
    Link to EFL version example course : http://manxman.ch/moodle2/course/view.php?id=16
    Look at the 'Memory Game' first. You don't need a computer, you can write the word groups on picture cards which work just as well.
    Hope that's of interest.

4. whizzbangbang

whizzbangbang New commenter

Hi - there are over 200 ideas at teacheractivities.co.uk - I hope this helps.

5. agreenmouse

agreenmouse Occasional commenter

How about putting them in pairs and telling them they have to come up with a brief presentation of a character of their choice. They need to be quick about their choice and the sentences they are going to choose, but first you are going to give them an example ... at which point you show them one of the videos below (2.31 minutes long and no ads) which you could stop at any point once they have got the gist. If they could manage a quick sketch so much the better, but how long is the lesson?!

French: www.youtube.com/watch

Spanish: www.youtube.com/watch

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Snowballing sounds fun. I think you'd have to choose your groups carefully.....