1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas for a leaving song that has gone down well for leaving members of staff?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Feb 23, 2012.

1. We are hoping to find/write a nice leaving song for a member of staff who is leaving at Easter after a good few years at the school.
    I remember a thread on here from last year discussing the same thing, so was just wondering if anyone had a good idea to share that they have used successfully.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Many years ago I adapted 'One more step along the world I go' (a song we used to sing in assembly) for our departing Science coordinator. The staff sang it to him at his leaving party - we had a really good laugh learning it together.
    You've just reminded me of this with your request and now I'm wondering what happened to him...

3. Thankyou.
    So far, I've been thinking about rewriting "Wish me well as you wave me goodbye" as they have taught some WWII stuff and "Thankyou for the music" as they taught music too.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The Beatles - Hello Goodbye
    Rolling Stones - Ruby Tuesday (suggest you adapt the lyrics)

5. Have just written out a big message and lost it so sorry no time now to repeat it all but basically we changed the words to we will rock you by Queen and replaced rock with miss. It was fantastic to hear 500 children singing and clapping/banging in a whole school assembly and it was so emotional. The words were really easy to change and a lot of them are okay as they are. Sorry no time to write more hope this helps it really was a lovely way of doing it.

6. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moving-Songsheets-Suzy-Davies/dp/1408104423/ref=pd_sim_b_13 how about this? It's cheesy but brilliant and comes with backing tracks, IWB words etc. etc. My Y4 class love it.

7. cazzielou

cazzielou New commenter

At a school I did my placement in the headteacher left after 40 years of working at the same school. They did a whole assembly about her etc with each class doing their own bit. The last song they did was a whole school performance of So Long, Farewell from Sound of Music. It was absolutely brilliant (although had practised A LOT when the headteacher was out of school!) They each stood in lines (6 classes YR/1/2) and they each wrote a line to sing and then sat down after their line. Then they all sang the final line together, it was so emotional and quite sweet and funny at certain points because some of the lines were written about private jokes between the head and that class. The children all did the actions and bopped their heads from side to side on the boopy bit (don't know how else to explain that bit but you will know what I mean if you know the song!) very cute!!