1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas about how to be enthusiastic?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Oct 19, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent ideas here from Lara, as always.
    I would add that you might consider strengthening slightly your reference to dyspraxia in applications. Not making a big deal of it, just a short paragraph, something along the lines of:
    I suffer from dyspraxia (as covered by the Equalities Act, 2010). I have, of course, coping strategies for this so that there is no impact on my normal teaching (as shown in my observations). However in an interview situation I may demonstrate some features; you may be already aware of the advice for employers to be found at: http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/services/ad_employers.php
    This sets the situation out clearly and identifies their responsibility.
    But do take note of Lara's comments too.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

2. I can only echo Lara's advice to be a little OTT with praise etc, particularly during an interview lesson.
    Better luck next time. Take heart from the fact that you're being shortlisted. Many people don't even get that far.

3. I completely agree: Teaching is acting. I don't mean being fake, simply having a classroom persona - and for an interview lesson, ratchet this up to the max. Be super-smiley, feign WILD enthusiasm for absolutely everything you teach and use praise where you perhaps wouldn't normally ("Wow, well done for entering the room so quickly and quietly - I am seriously impressed!"), For one thing, this exaggeration helps you establish rapport with the children really fast (thereby maximising the chances of someone noisily telling you 'I HOPE YOU WILL BE OUR NEW TEACHER'!), and for another, having a classroom persona means you never slip up, e.g. let slip a swear-word without thinking! (Lol, imagine!) x