1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas??? a week planned around the theme of junk!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarahmilly, Mar 27, 2011.

1. sarahmilly

sarahmilly New commenter

Hi,
    In the summer term we have a week where the whole school goes 'off timetable'. This year, the infants have decided to go with the theme, ;junk'!
    Does anybody have any ideas for things we could do?
    So far we have:
    • junk modelling - large and small scale
    • A music workshop playing 'junk' instruments.
    • building dens from junk
    • A great egg race using reclaimed stuff
    • Some kind of art activity????
    • Dinosaurs and all that rubbish - book
    We're also trying to think of a school trip - possibly recycling linked...???? (or not) in the north west.
    Or a theatre company coming in....
    Any further ideas would be really appreciated!!!!!

2. inq

inq

Sorting rubbish? How would you sort it?
    Does everybody consider rubbish to be the same thing e.g. I'd throw out a large cardboard box but I know if I put it in my role play area it would be a boat/ car/ rocket so definitely not junk.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'd use inq's idea of sorting rubbish by becoming 'Wombles'- used them before with recycling in year1/2 and they loved it. Children brought in miniatures to copy costumes & we made paper bag hand puppets.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. I run workshops which use junk (plastic bottles, sticks, plus boomwhackers), called Rhythm Machine workshops for F to Y6. you can check them out at www.toetappingmusic.com to see if they're of interest.
    Alan

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

The Wombles Song is in Apusskidu - Songs for Children if you have that at school.

7. sarahmilly

sarahmilly New commenter

Thank you all so much for these ideas...
    I love the wombles!!!!
    I've had a look at the toetappers site - looks good... I'll show it at next weeks meeting for discussion.

Thanks again
    S

8. uppereastside

uppereastside New commenter

A junk fashion show?