1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any idea how long it takes to process an early retirement pension form from Teachers' Pension?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by chuk, Jul 20, 2015.

1. chuk

chuk New commenter

I filled out a hard copy AAB APP application form as I will be 55 in October. I filled out part A and sent part B to be filled out by my last school. I have now been informed that this form is no longer current and that it has to be done on line. However, I need to update some missing service first and then get my employer to confirm that my contract has ended.

I have done the calculations, and I am aware that my pension will be actuarially adjusted. I just wondered if anyone out there knows how long the process will take?

2. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

It depends how busy they are - they might be busy this time of year - but I have heard that once you have completed the forms it can be as quick as two weeks. Mine took about 4 weeks I think.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

That is crucial, as how much you get depends on your overall working record. So check, and double check this.

I submitted just after Easter 2013, and retired early, with my reduced pension in early July. If you want your pension as soon as you are 55 in October, I'd say August/early September would be fine. But obviously submit as early as you are able to.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

When I filled in the forms it stated that my pension could start no earlier than 6 weeks from submitting my declaration.

5. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I definitely got mine before that Marlin. I was mis-advised as to where to send my form and therefore had to complete another one in mid-August - and I got my pension in September.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

This is what it said on the form.

If you have completed this form while still in teaching employment, your benefits (including any lump sum) will be paid from the first day after leaving that employment, provided you have reached the age of 55.

If you have completed this form having already left teaching employment, you may select below, the date that your benefits are paid. This cannot be sooner than 6 weeks after the date of the Declaration. If there is no date selected, or the date selected is less than 6 weeks after the Declaration, Teachers’ Pensions will pay your benefits from 6 weeks after the date of the Declaration.

I had already left teaching (a couple of months previously) before I claimed my pension and so this may be the reason why my application was different to yours Kitty. I was a bit slow claiming it as there was a lot going on at the time - a shame really as it meant I could have been getting payments sooner.