1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any IB markers out there?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Piranha, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

On retiring last summer, I applied to become an IB marker, offering a wide range of papers. I was duly accepted, and allocated Higher Paper 1, which was fine by me. I completed my availability as soon as it was requested, but have not been offered any marking this May. I had assumed that I was offered Paper 1 because that is where there was a gap, but obviously not. Does anybody know if this is normal, and when I night get some work, please? And is there anything I can do to speed up the process? Thanks.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Hi,
    Get in touch with whoever you sent your application to, and ask them what is going on. Someone should be able to give you answer one way or another. Failing that, the area subject manager may be able to help.

K.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Thanks, Karvol. I have got in touch and received a faily blunt reply that they have more examiners than they need. I still can't see why they allocate me a particular paper until they know where they need help.

Strangely, I wrote to the exam board my old school used for A-level, despite the fact that their adverts didn't say they needed Maths markers, offering them all the standard Maths and Further Maths papers, and they have aollocated me M2, so at least I have something.

Casy likes this.
  4. Karvol

It is relatively easy to find markers for HL P1, P2 and P3. However, I believe that there is a shortage for moderators for the IA. Perhaps that is an area you could look into?

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. I did offer to moderate, and was able to indicate availability for it, but no luck there either. Do you know if there is a queue for marking, which you move up as people stop doing it?

6. Karvol

I am not sure. In my time I have been an examiner to ToK, Maths HL and now the Maths HL IA.

I know that for the HL IA we (as moderators) were asked if we were willing to do more than our base quotas, which would suggest that they need more people.

There was a mix up a few years ago where I was asked to do ToK marking and wasn't interested. I had to email the area manager - I think - in order to get onto the marking team for the IA. It wasn't a problem, as far as I remember.

Were you at an IB school before retirement?

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I was at a school that tried the IB for a few years without much success alopngside A-level (in which I taught plenty of modules across, C, M, S, D and FP). We finished IB last year as we couldn't get enough students, so I was teaching IB until retirement. During that time, I taught SL and HL with Sets, Relations and Groups, so I said I could mark any of that, including moderating the IA. How do I find my area manager, please?

8. Karvol

I'll ask the DCE for Maths HL if they have a shortage or not. It sounds a bit strange but not unusual with IB for the right hand not to know what the left is doing.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Thanks for your help, @Karvol . I have already encountered some issues - having been told what I was going to be put down to mark, I was not even given the chance to indicate availability at first until I asked for it.