1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Hong Kong based teachers out there?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by NingenEmpi, Nov 13, 2018.

1. NingenEmpi

NingenEmpi New commenter

Hey everyone,

I just wondered if there were any HK primary school teachers on the forum. It would be good to network with you if so!

2. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

This isn't a very useful response at all but I work in mainland China in southern GZ so I go to HK often by ferry. It is ridiculously expensive there as I am sure you can imagine. I would pick through the contract very carefully in terms of housing and allowances. It could easily turn out to be a nightmare spent in a coffin apartment for two years or a great time in an international city full of Western conveniences, Eastern culture/food/great night markets, a great expat scene and children who are willing and conscientious about their learning.

Going for weekends in n HK is quite a breath of fresh air sometimes when you live in mainland China BUT I'm happy I do live in GZ because the salary and housing are much better than what I was offered in HK. But that's just my experience. I teach Social Sciences so they probably offer more money for core subjects based on the school in HK.

3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Hong Kong has M&S. That would seal it for amysmum......

suem75 likes this.
  4. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

Yes, feel free to message

5. 576

576 Established commenter

And M&S food as I discovered when there for an IB Course.

6. NingenEmpi

NingenEmpi New commenter

Hi! Thanks, for taking the time to reply. I'm already here actually, moved from London in 2015. However, I'm new to primary school here and recently completed my PGCE. That's why I was looking for people to network with to share best practice and exchange ideas etc. I'd be interested to know more about your experiences in GZ though. I'll message you sometime if that's ok!

Xtinelove likes this.
  7. NingenEmpi

NingenEmpi New commenter

Will do, thanks!

8. NingenEmpi

NingenEmpi New commenter

Very expensive though! Mind you, not that cheap back home. Actually, I was in there on Sunday and almost bought a Christmas pudding. Hah!

9. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

So did Shanghai, but they closed it, so I left...:D

10. fedoris0228

fedoris0228 New commenter

Can I message you for questions too? Thank you :)