1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

any help please

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by dawnjess180, Feb 6, 2012.

1. I am a teaching assistant and I look after a girl of 10 with downs syndrome. She started her period yesterday. Can anyone offer any advice for myself or her mum or of course the child.
    she is working on p5s and has no speech.mum has kept her off today. I feel so sad for her.
    her behaviour is not great at the best of times but the last 2 weeks has been terrible.
    she does not wear nappies(in the day anyway not sure about night) she needs help wiping if she has had a poo, but this is never at school.
    thanks

2. Pass on the advice, sorry. I am just staggered by the kindness and humanity needed to do your job - I could NEVER do it. Huge respect x

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That'll be the hormones.
    First port of call is the school nurse. They must have special books/pictures to explain such matters to girls like her. She needs to learn this is a 'normal event' and part of growing up just like any other girl.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Maybe the Down's Syndrome Association will have some suitable resources?

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I used to work in a care home and supported a young woman with Downs Syndrome. She was never unable to grasp the concept of a period and we had to change her sanitary towels for her. She also had mood swings during that time and used to throw her towel at the wall. It was difficult.
    A lot will depend on her ability to understand and at 10 it is especially difficult, but the suggestion about the school nurse and Down's Syndrome Associate are ones I would also recommend.