1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any help much appreciated for a PGCE interview (Secondary English) at Sheffield University

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by rach166, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have an Interview at Sheffield University for Secondary English. As part of the interview, I have been asked to select a work of children's fiction suitable for 13/14 year olds and to discuss how and why I would use the book for this age group. I was just wondering whether I should pick a book from the National Curriculum that I know pupils study at that age or whether I should pick a book that isn't on the National Curriculum.
    Any advice would be much appreciated

2. Hello,
    I have an Interview at Sheffield University for Secondary English. As part of the interview, I have been asked to select a work of children's fiction suitable for 13/14 year olds and to discuss how and why I would use the book for this age group. I was just wondering whether I should pick a book from the National Curriculum that I know pupils study at that age or whether I should pick a book that isn't on the National Curriculum.
    Any advice would be much appreciated

3. I have read an account of someone who picked a book that wasn't on the curriculum and then got completely thrown when others on her interview day had done. Her interviewer told her she was brave to pick something different, and didn't count it against her, although her going to pieces and saying she couldn't go on probably did...
    If I had been given your question I would have selected something that I felt should be on the curriculum but isn't, and then argued a case for it. Perhaps this is something you can clarify with the Sheffield? I think at the end of the day, as long as your arguement is sound, the text itself shouldn't matter.
    Good luck!

4. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
    I think my main concern is that I don't want to pick a book that everyone will pick. It would be awful to sit in the interview with four other people picking exactly the same book. I feel that if I did pick a text that wasn't on the Curriculum or widely studied then it would make me stand out a bit more.
    Like you said, I guess it is how I would approach the text and use the text that is the most important not the actual book itself.
    Thanks again

5. You could have a look at the Northern Ireland Cirriculum (CCEA) for books that they study in Year 10, I rememeber reading a book called 'Brother in the land'. I wasn't really a fan of literacy in school but I loved this book. It was about a nuclear bomb (sounds a bit morbid) and the aftermath. It was really interesting and there is an opportunity to bring into play; disscussions, debates, current affairs at the moment and history. There also could be resources online if you looked... Just a thought, as you are being interviewed for an English school and the two cirriculums a quite different.
    My interview is next week and i'm really nervous so know how you feel!
    Good Luck,
    Cheri :)

6. That is really good idea Cheri, I'm going to look into that if I have time (the hours are slipping away).
    I have been spending some time looking at Canada as Micheal Gove seems to want to steal their ideas (according to this guardian article). I think it's good to be able to bring it slightly 'unusual' postectives like that.