1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any help GREATLY appreciated re:Year 3 topics

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sspal, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Hi all,
    Having taught in reception for the first 2 years of my teaching career I am now moving into year 3. I am really looking forward to this, however I really want to make my planning cross - curricular and topic based as our school doesn't do this enough and this is part of the reason I have been moved - to try and use my experience of cross curricular planning in KS2.
    My question is this, what topics to any year 3 yeachers out there currently use? Having looked at the different QCA units the obvious one that I intend on using for autumn term is the Tudors. I would love to hear any other fab ideas people have for topics in this year group
    Thanks in advance,
    SS

2. Hi all,
    Having taught in reception for the first 2 years of my teaching career I am now moving into year 3. I am really looking forward to this, however I really want to make my planning cross - curricular and topic based as our school doesn't do this enough and this is part of the reason I have been moved - to try and use my experience of cross curricular planning in KS2.
    My question is this, what topics to any year 3 yeachers out there currently use? Having looked at the different QCA units the obvious one that I intend on using for autumn term is the Tudors. I would love to hear any other fab ideas people have for topics in this year group
    Thanks in advance,
    SS

3. I can't help much as we only touch on cross-curricular teaching at present. We do Egypt and Romans. These topics really appeal to children at Y3 age. I link them to Art (Investigating pattern - Roman mosaics) and Literacy (Non-chronological reports and information texts). I could mail you sample plans if you like.
    Does your school have a long term plan for History topics or have you been given the scope to choose? I ask because I wouldn't be able to choose what topics I do in my school because they are all allocated to specific year groups.

4. I'm trying my hardest to do the cross-curricular thing, largely using the history and science areas that were already covered and structuring the other subjects around them. I do one topic every half term:
    All about me - (science - teeth and eating and Geog - local area study)
    Volcanoes (rocks and soils)
    Ancient Egypt (obvious)
    Plants and Environment (Science - plants, Geog - improving the environment)
    Ancient Greece (obvious)
    Monsters and Robots (This is a random one, largely based around the moving monsters DT topic)

5. I do Romans and Egpyt too. This year I did Romans through story - made up a story about a Roman who started out life as a slave and ended up being part of the invasion. There was a lot of drama - teacher-in-role and thought-tracking etc. Could send it to you if you like? Kids loved it and outcome was a diary which they wrote in character as if they were him.

For the Sanwiches topic in DT I thought that it was incredibly dull - most kids I taught knew how to make a sandwich. We started teaching French this year so we tied it in with that and the children had to learn how to make French food (baguettes, pain au chocolat, croque monsieur etc) and as a small part of that design their own baguette. There was a lot of tasting and melting etc etc. In the end they wrote menus and invitations and parents came along to the cafe one afternoon. Each child had the role of a waiter, chef, maitre d' etc. It worked really well but it was a lot of effort. I'd love to take credit but the idea came from someone else.
    Happy to send plans if you want.

6. I'd love to know what people did to spice up the science units. 'Changing materials' or whatever that materials unit is called is dull. Plants and teeth were ok but not particularly challenging if you go by the QCA stuff.

7. Hi
    Not used this forum before and was just browsing through when I saw your post. I am in Year 1 teaching at the moment as an NQT but I know that in our Year 3 the children overed the topic chocolate and it was fantastic! Melting, freezing etc. Used Charlie and the chocolate factory in Literacy. They made chocoalte making machines in DT went to cadburys world for their trip....

Hope this is helpful sorry got no planning I am afraid!

The BFP

8. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply, your help and idas are much appreciated. To anyone that kindly offered to send planning examples my email address is pppal1@hotmail.com

Thanks again

9. What a great idea! I teach Y3 - just finished NQT year in Y3 and have got Y3 again for another year. I did 'Sandwich Snacks' and as you say it was a liitle dull. I love the idea of linking it to French. Could I be cheeky and ask you to send me your plans? My email address is
    k.nelson@houseangels-uk.com
    Thank you!

10. Hi,

I'm going into my third year in year 3 and our topics are:

Iron Age (history based, but alot of art work e.g. making torcs, round houses, etc.)
    Horrid Henry (PSHE based)
    Ancient Egypt (history based but alot of art, literacy egyptians myths)
    India (geography based but lots of art and dance. Also link into science light and shadows and literacy playscripts and use the monkey and the crocodile story and tell it as a play using shadows puppets we've designed and made in DT).
    Spring has sprung (science based (helping plants grow), DT designed and made smoothies which the children loved, literacy adventure stories animals of farthing wood)
    Eco-warriors (geography based, DT designed and made recycling robots out of rubbish and then wrote advertisements for them).

11. Hiya,

I'm a Year 3 teacher in a school which is now trying to teach through the topics as much as we can. I've got to recommend the Chocolate topic. We're a healthy school so just made sure that we balanced it out with Teeth and Eating in our Science.

Thinking of topics is a bit trickier in our school as we have team topics. I'm in the same team as Year 1 and 2, so we have to have the same topics. What we've tried to do instead is think of a theme which we all look at, and each year group can take a different focus if we want to. Our topics for the next year are Fire in Autumn (which I'm linking to the Great Fire of London, but obviously linking to the KS2 skills and extending a lot more than Year 2), The Living World in the Spring, and our Summer theme/topic is going to be either Magic or Fantasy (we haven't decided on a name yet, but we mostly know what we want to do). We chose this because our Year 2 teacher would love to focus on aliens, and I would like to focus on either Magic or Superheroes, so we're waiting.

We've tried to think of really enjoyable topics for the kids, which have nice catchy names too.

Over the past couple of years, we've tried to link science in where we can, and taught it discretely when we couldn't. However, this has meant that we haven't covered the things we need to, so we're going back to teaching the age appropriate units as recommended by qca.

12. Was that meant for me? If so, then giive me a chance haha! In the process of writing Fire Autumn Medium term plan at the moment (which focuses more on skills), but I have plenty of ideas to share if you're interested.

Oops if it wasn't meant for me!

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

anybody else in Year 3 doing Light and Dark? First time for me and I haven't got a clue....

14. I only did this topic in Year 1/2 a couple of years ago but for Year 3 it would obviously fit in very nicely with Light and Shadows in Science, and more tenuously with Plants. Or if you are able to cover science outside of the recommended year groups then do light and shadows and circuits and conductors from year 4.

You could link it to Grace Darling perhaps in Literacy instead of History (unless you could find a way to aim Grace Darling at KS2 - although you could look here: http://www.primaryhistory.org/lessons/grace-darling,9,RSC.html. I'm doing the Great Fire of London with my Year 3s next term and need to make it appropriate for Year 3s too).

For Literacy perhaps A Dark Dark Tale by Ruth Brown?

Could you focus on Geography for the weather?

And there must be plenty of art opportunities for Light and Dark?

15. Hello,
    I'm going into my NQT year in September, teaching Year 3. I'm toying with the idea of using the Romans as my first topic but I have never taught it before. I wondered if it might be possible to sneak a peak at some of your sample plans? If so, my email is kath_sandy@hotmail.com.

16. Hi
    Ive just finished my NQT year but I am moving to year 3 in September. Was wondering if I could have a copy of the cross curricular units you have used as don't really know where to start.
    Thanks
    starayb@hotmail.com

17. Hi!

I'm an NQT (after teaching secondary for 2 years!). I have my first (proper) primary job in year 3 and would LOVE some of the plans offered for Romans and the Egyptians if that's ok????

THANKS SO MUCH!!

cathiehewitt@gmail.com

18. lardylegs

For the DUMB among you = I am asking about LIGHT and DARK in YEAR 3. Did I mention Romans? Thought not. Did I mention Egyptians? Thought not. Clear off and make up your own plans. Now..... back to Light and Dark for YEAR 3.....

19. lardylegs

oops, sorry, just realised there was some wittering further up this thread about Romans and the like. I make a mistake because it was in my favourites and I thought I started it. Grovel grovel and don't start shouting at me. Bring on the Roman stuff.