1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

any headteachers who can advise a secondary trained teacher with a years primary experience?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Louise_Bates, May 18, 2011.

1. I am a secondary trained English and MFL teacher who completed 2 years in secondary and then switched to primary covering maternity for a years post. The switch wasnt easy and I had a lot to answer for and prove. I am now relocating and I want to apply for a permanent post. I am still concerned that people with a primary PGCE have an advantage over me, even though I feel I am a good primary teacher and will be backed up with good references. I have applied for a number of posts and have heard nothing. I have a feeling this is either to do with my secondary background or the fact that they think one years experience is not enough and why i.e. should they employ someone on M3 when we can have an NQT on M1 with the same experience. I was thinking of even putting on my application that id be willing to stay on M3 if money was the issue? Do you think maybe applying to inner city schools rather than schools in more affluent areas would help? im just confused as to why im hearing nothing from my applications. Sometimes i feel like im still paying the price for simply training with the wrong age group. your advise would be much appreciated and if there is anyone in a simiar situation please get in touch,

2. I am a secondary trained English and MFL teacher who completed 2 years in secondary and then switched to primary covering maternity for a years post. The switch wasnt easy and I had a lot to answer for and prove. I am now relocating and I want to apply for a permanent post. I am still concerned that people with a primary PGCE have an advantage over me, even though I feel I am a good primary teacher and will be backed up with good references. I have applied for a number of posts and have heard nothing. I have a feeling this is either to do with my secondary background or the fact that they think one years experience is not enough and why i.e. should they employ someone on M3 when we can have an NQT on M1 with the same experience. I was thinking of even putting on my application that id be willing to stay on M3 if money was the issue? Do you think maybe applying to inner city schools rather than schools in more affluent areas would help? im just confused as to why im hearing nothing from my applications. Sometimes i feel like im still paying the price for simply training with the wrong age group. your advise would be much appreciated and if there is anyone in a simiar situation please get in touch,

3. Hi I am in a similar situation to you. I was an nqt last year and currently teach ICT, history and business at secondary school. I really want to switch to primary teaching. I just don't think i am cut out for secondary teaching and originally wanted to do primary but decided to do a secondary pgce as it was more relevance to my degree I haven't applied for any primary posts as i thought i might leave it another year. I think you are definitely off to a good start with a years experience in primary as I only have 3 weeks experience before my pgce. Could it just be that the jobs you are applying for have a lot of applicants and it has nothing to do with your experience. When I was looking for my first job as an NQT in secondary I must have applied to about 30 jobs and only heard back from about 3 so maybe you should just keep trying. I plan on going part time in Sept and doing one day supply in primary. Best of luck anyway - please let me know how you get on with your applications as I'd be really interested to know. Marie

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I trained as a secondary teacher and now teach primary. Even after many years teaching in a middle school and lots of primary supply teaching, it was still very difficult to secure a primary post. The jobs market is very, very different in primary.
    No point doing that as they can't do it. They have to pay you on the scale point you are on.
    Yes. Good schools have the pick of the crop when it comes to teachers. Even those higher on the payscale would be a more attractive proposition. If there are 100-200 applications, not unusual in good schools, why would they pick someone who isn't trained or especially experienced when they could have both for the same money? Inner city schools tend to get fewer applicants, so you have a better chance.
    Because you aren't selling yourself well enough. Go to the jobseekers forum on here and read the clickables on the welcome thread. Do everything it says there and good luck with the next applications.