1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any good websites to look for off the cuff type lessons - primary?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by DJL, Apr 22, 2012.

1. DJL

DJL

I've got a day's regular supply and usually have chance to plan in advance. However, I find that when things are cancelled/ different in school, I can be asked to just take a class for a lesson with no planning. How do I build up a bank of good activities to cover these situations? Short - longer activities required. I'm just a bit lacking in imagination at the moment! Maybe a few games, individual and group activities. Y1 - Y6. Thanks.

2. Literacy: I find having a few books which can work over the key stage usually work well. For example, for ks1/lower ks2 I use "Tuesday", allowing children to re-tell the entire story or their favourite part. I find "The Witches" has some chapters which lend themselves well to one-off activities for ks2. But the books you use are up to you - it's best to have some that you know well and enjoy.
    Maths: again, some activities which cover the key stage are worth having with you. Problem solving tasks/investigations are always good.
    Other lessons: doing some singing activities can be fun and appeal to many children. Look at PSH/RE/Art lessons that you have taught and enjoyed and keep these with you for emergencies.
    Games: I have often been taught games *by* the classes I teach. Usually, I teach them a game I know and then invite them to teach me one. Everyone wins :)
    My main advice is to use things that you're comfortable with and that have worked well in the past. There's no point in trying to use resources/games that you're not familiar with/don't enjoy. That way, you'll be able to pull them out of a hat without even blinking.

3. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Yes TES Resources on here.