1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

any good supply agencies around the Manchester area?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by southmark, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Sadly I may need to throw myself on the untender mercies of supply agencies in the near future after my current contract ends. I have some experience of supply agencies and have generally found that there are some decent people working in venal and vampiric organisations . Does anyone know of someone who is trustworthy and works as a secondary consultant in or around the Manchester area who may be able to help me to get work for the summer term?

2. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I could name one that I'd avoid...they lied and tried to rip me off by paying far less than agreed and claiming it was a clerical error when I questioned it - never paid me the proper rate though... Don't want to break any rules so PM if you want a name!

3. They will all promise you the earth but deliver nothing. Keep trying to get those applications right supply is a dying trade. I had a letter yesterday from Essential (I don't mind naming because this is in black and white therefore cannmot be disputed) stating that they would be reducing their daily rate for ALL teachers to £100. This is in reponse to competition from other agencies and schools putting pressure on. I have now withdrawn from all my agencies and will only come back to teaching if I get a permanent post - I won't even consider a temporary post as I will just end up in the same boat in, say, a years time. Looks like I could be at ASDA for some time.

4. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Surely even at 100 quid a day you would earn more in 2 to 3 days, than working at Asda for a min wage for a whole week? Plus you would be doing a job that you love?

5. It does not seem to work like that as I am (sorry was) a teacher of twenty three years and I recently apllied for a cover supervisor's job and received no reply because thay had many applications from 'high quality' candidates. By high quality I assume they mean does not know where the line should be drawn between the duties of teacher and cover supervisor.