1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any good reasons not to strike?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by regencyrob, Jun 21, 2011.

1. I was wondering if anyone had a good reason not to strike?
    Today I have heard because of the children's interests! - surely they deserve a teacher on decent pay and motivated by love of the job and not just because they can't retire for a few more years.
    I also heard - Can't afford to - Well if you can't afford to lose 1/365th of your salary this month - around £64 on £25000 and £82 on £30000 then you can't afford to lose the 50% increase in the contributions for the rest of your life.
    Because my Union is not striking! - Change Unions!
    Because I am SLT and we have to set an example! - ***!

Any other good reason?
  2. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Being unconvinced about the unions' case?
  3. You might believe the Government's suggestion that the scheme is unaffordable in its present guise...
    Or you might just be on a temp contract and worried about keeping your job!
    Last time, a school near me had all it's teacher stay in school as they had been strong-armed by the Head! Hard to believe, but true!
  4. what is unconvincing WP?
  5. yeah if you were temporary I could see your point - however if everyone was out the school would be closed and you would be off anyway - so may as well strike!
  6. I think most schools will at least be partly open though. Might be different if NASUWT were out too.
  7. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

It's a litlle late to start that particular debate, and there's a long thread Opinion about it. You asked for a good reason not to strike, and I gave one. Or do you think that teachers should not be allowed to hold their own opinion about the pension issue?
  8. My school is open but closed to children as 6 teachers are going out
  9. I feel WP that you can hold your opinion yes. I don't think it is a very good one really.
    I find that they have a strong argument and I will support the Union of which I am a democratic member and strike.
  10. Millie is the school sending home just some of the children then?
  11. I know I'm not Millie but this is an option that is open to schools. Say you have 12 classes and 5 teachers striking - the children of teachers in those 5 classes stay at home for the day but children in the other 7 classes come in.
  12. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

That's fine, and I fully support your right to hold that opinion and to take strike action. I disagree with both the opinion and action, that's all. No-one should be made to feel guilty about taking part or not taking part in the strike, although I do feel that teachers who are belong to the unions which are striking should either support the strike or change unions.
  13. I know this is an option was wondering if her school will be doing that? Parents will be really peeved if some children can go in and some stay out - I would have seen the safer option for heads would be to close to all children if a number of staff were off
  14. Do you disagree with striking in any situation? is there a situation which you feel striking could be appropriate?

15. Yep - nearly all our KS1 staff are NASUWT, so they'll be open to KS1 and close KS2. My daughter's school is open to classes whose teachers are not striking too.
  16. Yes, that's true, but I guess some parents might just keep their kids off together anyway, even if one of them could go in.
  17. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Some may feel the strike will not work. They may even feel it will do more harm to the cause than good.
  18. This is what is happening in my school - those of us who are striking have told the head and he has sent a letter out saying our classes will be closed but those who aren't striking will be open.