1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any good/outstanding year 2 teachers out there please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Hi fruitloop,
    I can try to send you some photos but will need to take some first! In the meantime or if I don't get round to it I shall try to paint you a picture with words!
    We have a carpet area with IWB & Small Wb & their behaviour chart & sticker chart facing them where they move their names up or down depending on behavour/follwing the rules. They all have tables, over in one corner there is a book corner with comfy chair and topic books displayed, in the other corner there is a role play corner, at the mo' it is a punch & judy show which they love- it's got puppets, purses with money in and a clock & sign on which they can write when the next show is. In between this are cabinets & table tops where maths resources are kept etc and on top are some seaside ( topic) linked activity sheets ( they love it!- just a bit of simple colouring & wordsearches etc) Also we have a topic table with an activity on it ( can use in free time) which is a beach sorting activity. Up the other end we have put out some topic books and some of the many shells etc they have been bringing in so they can touch & listen to them.
    I think you are spot on with this- if they have too much free reign they are never going to learn how to work and they are top of the infants so should be learning to do so but you can still be fun about it.
    I think the previous poster had very wise words re the continous provision side doesn't always work and I've had many older teachers who have seen it before and now it's back in & they say they think the standards have gone down in Y1/2.(?) I'm not anti it at all in Foundation Stage & of course there should be an element of transition in Year 1 but I think Year 2 is a bit of a knuckle down to it year! I am too quite formal in my approach and my children are also v happy, love bringing in things linked to topic and do like their lessons- I have to say though I'm not too good on the handwriting! Can the last poster tell me what they do e.g. what scheme and how often etc. Thanks!!

2. I do think it does also depend on your level of TA support. I think it is harder to extend and observe those accessing the continuous provision whilst you work with a group if there is no TA, so no other adult to do that extending and observing. I do see how much more formal it is in Year 3 in our school, with no role play area etc and I feel Year 2 in our school needs to be that transition for them from the more play based learning in Year 1 to more formal in Year 3. We focus on lots of practical activities and lots of meaningful learning through enquiry based approaches. They work on their own, in pairs and in groups, but do focus on the same area at the same time, although accessing it in different ways. I would make some different choices if I had general TA support though.

3. This thread is really interesting.
    Do you work in mixed ability or ability groups within your classroom? How do you manage your guided groups?
    Thanks for any help.

4. We make the Big Books from Y1 through to Y3. It is filled with photos, speech bubbles, samples of their drawings, graphs, charts and ICT work. I put all the objectives at the front. This is the main record of their work so they don't have a separate book. I file away anything else I have used for assessment, as well as my notes.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Is there a big book per child then? The ones I saw were a joint whole class or small group work.

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

This might sound like an obvious question but what are 'must haves' for classroom displays & environment? Is there anything you wouldn't be without?

7. My must haves:
    A big 0-100 number line along the wall
    A big 100 square with moveable numbers at the front of the class
    All tricky HFWs displayed on the wall
    Number bonds to ten on wall
    Connectives displays
    Maths working wall to put up relevant vocab etc for ch to refer to
    English working wall for same and for children to add their own work
    A box on each table with the following: number lines, letter lines, cards with digraphs etc on
    A role play area mainly created by the children and with space for their ongoing additions and ideas
    A cosy reading area which includes comics and audiobooks.
    Easy access to other support material like bead strings, counters, counting animals, diennes, numicon, thesauruses (sp) and dictionaries.

8. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Thanks Singup!

9. No only one big book per class per term. It is enough work to produce one good one.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Excellent...am getting more excited by the day!

11. This sounds such a great idea! I am a NQT and it really appeals, so will be running it passed my HT for the OK! Hope you don't mind if I ask questions to clarify exactly how it works! Do you only do it for Science? When you say "Big Book" is it the size of a large scrapbook? When you say "samples of their drawings" etc - how are you choosing the work to put in? Is it the most accurate piece? Do you change whose work goes in? Is it something you as the teacher compile or do the children or LSA? Just wondered how best to structure doing this. Thanks for your further feedback.

12. Hi,
    I have just completed my probation year (NQT year elsewhere I believe!) with a P3 class which is the equivelant to Year 2. I have to say it was not the stage I had most enjoyed during university placements but having the run of the whole year, was certainly converted and loved this stage. Wish I had seen this thread prior to starting though!
    As has been mentioned here, I found it very important to remember that the children are still infants and certainly until Christmas found the learning experiences were more effective for them if they had short sharp bursts. Once January came (most of them) were able to focus on tasks for a more extended period of time.
    I did one project/theme through a talking, thinking floor book after attending a CPD event which is similar to the big book idea, the children loved this and this whole term continued to refer to it although the project was over.
    The children sat in mixed ability groups for the majority of the time but did have writing, maths and reading seats where they sat sometimes which made differentiation easier I found, especially in writing. They always had the same task for writing but the LI and SC were differentiated so I found that having the groups sitting together it made it easier.
    Play and active learning was so important. The space in the room was limited so this had to be thought out quite carefully. We had 2 structured sessions a week, one specifically for maths and another was a rotation on play activities usually geared towards a theme and targetting different outcomes we were working on. In addition to that they had golden time on a Friday where I always included lots of sensory experiences, they still enjoyed sand and water but I think were a little bit jaded as they had used it a lot in P1/2. Over the year we had time with jelli baff, crazy soap (foam), pasta (also came in very useful when we were learning about the joyful division!), coloured rice and more. I had a number of fairly challenging children in the class and found that they really became relaxed with this. Interestingly no child ever asked for the computer at golden time.
    For behaviour, the children had to earn their golden time over the course of the week which was themed to the topic, for example moving up the peach tree when we did James and the GP/minibeasts. I found it much better for the children to earn the time rather than taking it off for poor behaviour. In addition to that we had table points which worked well with them... and stickers on jumpers and in workbooks - very much a motivator!
    Displays we had a tricky word wall (coming from Jolly Phonics, the scheme used by the school), WOW words wall which included targets for writing, star writers, behaviour displays, number of the week challenges and then the rest depended on the theme we were looking at really.
    Oh and my class loved anything which involved expressive arts... again always a very calm time in our room. Tidy up music worked an absolute treat for transitions! Lots of stories.
    The progress they made over the course of the year was huge (though as a new teacher I guess I hadn't seen it before so maybe not surprising!) and I felt that they came in really little but they're now ready to move on.
    Feel a bit daft posting this with all the experienced teachers on here but I loved this stage and these are just some of the things I wish I had known. Enjoy them :)

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Please don't feel daft. Your post has been just as useful to me as anyone else's. Tricky words display might sound obvious when I read it, but I'd not thought of it at all. Definitely a good idea, especially as spelling is going to be a big focus in our school next year.

Like the idea of using a reward system linked to the learning topic. I'll have to ask my TA (oh the luxuries I shall have!) to see how artistic she is.

People keep telling me that about year 2...soooo hope mine do next year!

14. Hi
    I am going to a y1/y2 mix in September, am coming from F2 so am looking forward to introducing
    some provision to support transition for y1 children. Am aware it is a very high flying school and I have the more able year one children. I was considering challenge cards for math's/literacy when they have completed tasks set. Am planning a role play linked to topic with table top activities and interactive displays linked to numeracy and literacy so that activities taken link to what is covered in main lesson. I would suggest that HF words, connectives are at child height so children can remove and use and replace as they need them.
    I am looking forward to the new challenge but am considering how to replace the large puppets I have been using for maths and phonics I am expecting y2 children to be too grown up to want to respond to puppets. Any ideas would be helpful.

15. Year 2 love puppets (as do my girls who are Year 3 and 6). I have a monster puppet who they particularly love. They can't wait for a chance to have a go with him. Definitely go with the puppets. My monster one is a bit like Animal from Sesame Street and they like that he is a bit edgy I think.

16. At present only do it for Science. We use A3 books with clear plastic pages that you can slide A3 sheets into once the work has been arranged on both sides. Some work is only the best examples and other parts has something from everyone. I try to make sure everyone is represented plenty of times through photos, quotes, etc. I do most of the organisation, with some help from TA. I sometimes use it to review our work done so far, as we work our way through a topic. When the book is finished, they love the lucky dip of names as to who gets to take it home first. As I said before, OFSTED really liked it, as it showed evidence of lots of practical hands on experiences plus involvement of parents sharing their work.

17. Freeze!

Freeze! New commenter

ABSOLUTELY couldn't agree more with the emboldened statement!!!
    I teach Y1 at the minute but the Year Group I've taught more is Y2. I think it's such a shame to make them act like juniors. We don't need silence to work well, just a quieter working atmosphere! KS1 children can easily be taught to use 'inside voices' when working i.e. no 'chatting' unless about work and using whispering or low voices inside' and 'outside voices' for other times. Similarly with stickers. Let them wear them on their jumper and show off!!! We have other more formal reward systems in place (raffle ticket in a box - draw once a week for a prize) but stickers should be worn with pride.
    In our Y1 we have a FS based set up and in Y2 although it's not based on the 6 areas of learning it certainly isn't junior based either.
    I'm sure you'll have lots of good advice on here but if you want more feel free to message me :)

18. Freeze!

Freeze! New commenter

Good ideas :)
    Just wanted to say that Y2 would love huge puppets in my experience! Don't forget they're only 6 at the beginnning of the year!

19. The challenge cards are vg idea and you will prob find that other children, not just the HA, will access them. Table top displays are great and the kids love them- esp if they can bring things to add to them.
    Y2 children still love puppets! They are not too grown up at all and it really gets them interested! Esp if you have a silly one that make mistakes and they have to correct it. I even think puppets could still work in Y3.

20. [​IMG] thank you I have really enjoyed using puppets so am pleased I can still use them! Really good to share ideas I am so excited, if a little nervous about SATS for my y2 chn (my class is going to be y1/2 mix). Thank you for your posts