1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

any good minibeast plans?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by carot35, Feb 14, 2007.

1. OK so although its only spring second half i am looking at getting my MTP done for minibeasts for summer first half term as im away at easter getting married. Im doing minibeasts and wondered if anyone had a any plans they wouldnt mind sharning with me or ideas or links to anything that can help me thanks in advance carot35@hotmail.com

2. OK so although its only spring second half i am looking at getting my MTP done for minibeasts for summer first half term as im away at easter getting married. Im doing minibeasts and wondered if anyone had a any plans they wouldnt mind sharning with me or ideas or links to anything that can help me thanks in advance carot35@hotmail.com

3. toty

toty New commenter

4. Have sent you mine which I adapted from the Norfolk site plus a leaflet I made for the parents.
    Good luck with your wedding!

5. thank you I am just finishing off next weeks plans then will take a look at them al land try do my MTP for minibeast, i love the topic so should be easy! thanks again it is appreciated

6. Circle Time Activity Plan
    ?Circle Time provides the ideal opportunity for all our intelligences to be stretched and challenged. Children are not only specifically taught the skills they need for personal and social development, but they also learn self-awareness and how to recognise and monitor their own feelings. In addition they are taught strategies to handle their and others? feelings in a respectful and sensitive way.?
    Jenny Mosley ?More Quality Circle Time? (1998)
    The Golden Rules of Circle Time
    ? We listen to each other
    ? We do not say or do anything that would hurt another person
    ? We only speak when holding the ?speaking object?
    PSE 2 Can participate and speak in a familiar group with support.
    PSE 3 Can concentrate and maintain attention for a short period of time.
    PSE 8 Has begun to establish a relationship with peers and familiar adults and
    can discuss group rules.
    PSE 9 Can take turns and share with adult support.
    KU2 To show care and concern for others, living things and the environment
    To show care and concern for others, living things and the environment
    To consider the consequences of their actions
    Can the child water a plant, hold a snail/worm gently?
    Can the child explain what would happen if they did not treat the plant/minibeast with care? Understanding agreed codes of behaviour
    Flower Head, plastic caterpillar and frog
    Go through the ?The five skills of circle time? with the children:
    ? Looking
    ? Listening
    ? Speaking
    ? Thinking
    ? Concentrating
    Ask children to hold hands around the circle. Emphasising the need to be gentle, send a hand squeeze around the circle from child to child. Tell the children that they must not send the squeeze on until they have received it. If you think your group will find this activity difficult let the children hold hands around the circle then raise and lower arms together.
    Respect for living things
    Children need to have experience of living things in the learning environment, both inside and out. Through discussion and example, teach children to value and treat with care the world around them, not just imported 'pets', but also the beetles worms and plants in the setting environment.
    To emphasise this point use a circle time to pass around a very fragile object, such as a flower head or a seedling and draw comparisons with handling small creatures. Demonstrate the handling of caterpillars, frogs, worms etc
    Adult to reinforce need to take turns and think about others
    Using ?Talking Ted?, end with a round of:
    ?My favourite insect is a ?????

7. The Spider in the Web
    (tune of Farmer in the Den)

The spider in the web,
    The spider in the web,
    Spin, spin, oh watch it spin,
    The spider in the web.

The spider gets a fly,
    The spider gets a fly,
    Spin, spin, oh watch it spin,
    The spider gets a fly.

8. KU1, 2, 3, 4 9, 10, Small world minibeast hunt
    Resources
    Tuff Spot, magnifying glasses, telescope, clipboards, pencils. Paper, laminated numbers, shredded green paper, large, pebbles, gravel moss, shells, spider plant
    Plastic Insects/Butterfly lifecycle models
    Laminated Minibeast words from **********
    Is able to discuss investigations using appropriate language and make some predictions
    Can show care an respect for living things
    Is aware of local surroundings and the natural world
    Can investigate how objects change and work
    Uses some appropriate language, and comments, asking questions about the natural world

9. ? Circle time ? contribute to discussions about looking after minibeasts both in the local environment and in the classroom
    ? Write instructions about looking after minibeasts in the classroom.
    ? Role play scenarios about mistreating minibeasts and discuss what is right and wrong
    ? Circle time to discuss consequences of not looking after minibeasts properly
    ? Make poster displaying rules for treating minibeasts with care
    ? Circle time to discuss fear of certain minibeasts
    ? Ask a visitor questions about a tarantula
    ? Look at books and videos about minibeasts
    ? Discuss consequences of mistreating minibeasts
    ? Empathise with the friendly ladybird in ?The bad tempered ladybird?
    ? Talk about the behaviour of the bad tempered lady and discuss potential consequences.
    ? Recount personal account of being afraid of a minibeast or counteracting fear.
    ? Make a zig-zag book of a snail?s trail using positional language
    ? Contribute to class lift the flap book ?who lives here? - minibeast habitats
    ? Write instructions for looking after and feeding minibeasts
    ? Make a poster about minibeast rules
    ? Make own I spy book
    ? Write guessing cards for minibeasts
    ? Sequence own Hungry caterpillar book
    ? Compose party invitations for the ugly bug ball
    ? Make own information book about 1 minibeast
    ? Write a letter to the bad tempered ladybird
    ? Solve simple practical problems E.g. Arrange 5 snails on 2 leaves, make equal number of legs on each side of minibeast
    ? Contribute to graph showing number of legs for various minibeasts
    ? Collect information in a survey about favourite minibeasts and count responses ? make own tallies
    ? Represent information about favourite minibeasts in a pictogram / graph and analyse results
    ? Sort out sets of minibeasts into wings, no wings, fast, slow, patterned, plain
    ? Represent minibeast sets in a Carroll diagram
    ? Count fruit in hungry caterpillar story and represent in a pictogram
    ? Ask and answer questions about the above activities using more and less

? Make ladybird domino sets using dots up to 12. Make up one more and one less games with these
    ? Sort sets of minibeasts according to number of legs ? compare using more and less to compare

? Measure length of different minibeasts
    ? Explore symmetry using mirrors
    ? Make a minibeast lotto game
    ? Explore minibeast patterns
    ? Use positional language in snail trail book

10. P1, 2, 4, 5, 6 MUSIC & MOVEMENT - Story
    Decide on one adult to take tell the story and one to demonstrate movements alongside the children. Ask the children to lie on their tummies. Explain to the children that they are to listen carefully to the story and as NN tells the story they are to act out the story.

Introduce language such as nap, crawl, roll, left, right, spread, space, slowly, fast, loud, gentle, float and Cocoon.

Encourage dramatic movement by demonstrating movements alongside the children, to enable all the children to communicate their ideas with ease achieving their imaginative and creative goals without overprotection. Tell the story with enthusiasm, encouraging the children to listen carefully to instructions and remain interested in the activity, raising voice slightly when using words that encourage a particular movement. Praise children for their efforts to increase their self-confidence.
    CD player, Gentle Classical Music Piece. Physical development (move with confidence, imagination and in safety; move with control and coordination; show awareness of space, of themselves and of others; recognise the changes that happen to their bodies when they are active) Personal and Social development (continue to be interested, excited and motivated to learn; maintain attention, concentrate, and sit quietly when appropriate)
    Creative development (use imagination in music, dance, imaginative and role play and stories; express and communicate ideas, thoughts and feelings by using a widening range of materials, imaginative and role play and movement)
    Communication, Language and Literacy (sustain attentive listening, responding to what they have heard by relevant actions; enjoy listening to language, and readily turn to it in their play and learning, show an understanding of the elements of stories, such as main character, sequence of events, and openings )
    Knowledge and Understanding of the world (find out about, and identify some features of, living things, objects and events they observe
    Mathematical development follow up activities (count reliably up to 10 everyday objects; use developing mathematical ideas and methods to solve practical problems)

Caterpillar ?Music and Movement? Story

?There was a beautiful caterpillar that loved to (crawl) all around. He would crawl in the trees, on the streets, on the buildings and all around. But one day the caterpillar got very sleepy and decided to (take a long nap). He began to (snore) very loud. A while later, his (eyes popped wide open) and he found that he couldn't move. He (rolled) all around but couldn't get free. He (rolled and rolled all around). He was surrounded by a shell called a cocoon that kept him from moving freely. He then (popped his left arm free). He (popped his right arm free. He popped his left foot free). He (popped his right foot free). And then he (stood up). He noticed that he was a BUTTERFLY! He began to (flap his colourful wings slowly). And then... AT THIS POINT BEGIN THE CLASSICAL MUSIC ... And say "TAKE OFF!"

The children should take off by flying all around the large space. At the beginning of the music the children fly. Next have the children walk slowly demonstrating slow movements so they can catch their breath and then have them Take Off again. At the end of the piece have the children fly back to where they began.

11. gosh thank you for all those ideas...i have a head ache fom doing so much today so will look at them properly tomorrow when i can print them off. Thanks agin guys you've made my life easier and it is appreciated

12. hi
    I am about to start planning for a weekly music and movement session for reception class/es. I wondered if you knew of any good resources to get ideas such as your lovely session plan above?

13. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter