1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

any good ideas for teaching capacity y4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by someg, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Hi trying to come up with an exciting way to teach capacity and conversion, any suggestions? (The children are year 4 high ability)Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

2. Hi yes i do but i dont have an IWB!Which is why i am a bit stuck! Thanks any way

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Borrow the water trays etc from reception and use those? Practical activities would be fantastic.

Give them a range of containers and get them to put them in order according the capacity and estimate what the capacity actually is (cover up the labels).

4. thanks for that, will do!

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Definitely don't waste your time on IWB activities - get some measuring cylinders and bottles and jars and some water!

6. practical all the way! Start collecting different sized containers now!

7. My colleague came up with the idea of making fruit juice cocktails (complete with umbrellas!)- the children had to work out precise measurements ( also extended into pricing) This proved very effective and focussed. We did some work using water first, you can't beat practicality for capacity..

8. Ok so I'm teaching capacity to years 3 4 5 & 6. I am planning on lots of practical which I feel is very important and shouldn't be forgotten in KS2. Any ideas on how I can challenge my top group?

9. I did fruit juice and lemonade cocktails they had to devise the best tasting one by measuring and mixing different quantities, I actually did it for a lesson on ratio but you could adapt, they loved it!!!

10. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Higher ability should be able to recognise that, for example, 100ml is the same a 0.1l. They might also begin to explore the relationship between imperial and metric - e.g. 1 pint is just over half a litre, etc.

11. Get loads of capacity containers, juice cartons, water bottles etc. Water with a bit of paint or food coloring in and ask them to estimate and measure which containers hold the same amount, which cartons etc hold a quarter, half and three quarters of the liter one. Did this with mine and they loved it. Got plans if you want one.

12. I love the sound of what you have done kittysnitzel. As I am teaching capacity week after next is there any chance I could see your plans also?
    terargram@yahoo.co.uk
    Thank you :)

13. Hiya,

Plans are at school but couple of days went something like this:

Use IWB container with whole class, ask them to fill it 100ml, 200ml etc. Get children to challenge each other. Ask children to fill it half, how many ml is this? Same for quarter and 3 quarters (could go into 10ths and 5ths but mine are quite low ability).

Children have on desk measuring cylinders from 10ml up to 2L (make sure one is 250ml and 500ml) also a collection of household containers eg juice cartons, water bottles. Use ones like mugs and glasses without capacity marked on them so they can estimate.

Children start with 1L container finding household containers that will hold the same or simialr amount, then move it on to which ones will hold a half or a quarter. Extend with HA to 2L container. LA worked on finding containers that would hold 1L and testing it.

Add paint or food colouring, different colours for different tables, they loved it.

2nd lesson using some of the household containers from day before children use card and glue to make a container that they think will hold a similar capacity. This means they have to consider the base and the edge size. My HA made same capacity containers but that were taller than the container of shorter. Was a bit hard to measure capacity with these so might be better to get them to make containers that hold a certain amount of marbles, could make them out of duplo bricks too.

If you want to do estimating capacity do the same as lesson 1 but how many cups can you fit into each measuring cylinder, that way they can figure out the capacity of the mug and make more accurate estimations as they go on. Might take a bit of guidance though.

Sorry its long. Hope it helps

14. Ta ever so kittysnitzel, it sounds great!