1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any good ideas for a nursery class?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by AxolotlMan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Did a half day as a nursery teacher today -- not my favourite age group, I prefer to teach children who can do up their own shoes, jackets and wipe their own noses -- but more to the point, my training is for Key Stages 1 and 2. The school asked whether I can do the rest of this week; I said I'm booked in elsewhere tomorrow, but they said "OK What about Friday?" Not being in a position to turn down work, I said yes. The permanent teacher's planning was nowhere to be found today. Maybe it will have turned up by Friday, but just in case it doesn't: can anyone please suggest a good activity for a not particularly richly equipped nursery, that can just be done on one day?

2. Did a half day as a nursery teacher today -- not my favourite age group, I prefer to teach children who can do up their own shoes, jackets and wipe their own noses -- but more to the point, my training is for Key Stages 1 and 2. The school asked whether I can do the rest of this week; I said I'm booked in elsewhere tomorrow, but they said "OK What about Friday?" Not being in a position to turn down work, I said yes. The permanent teacher's planning was nowhere to be found today. Maybe it will have turned up by Friday, but just in case it doesn't: can anyone please suggest a good activity for a not particularly richly equipped nursery, that can just be done on one day?

3. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Hi! As a one off day why don't you plan around Goldilocks and the three bears? Here are a few activity ideas:
    Read the story and get them to do the actions/voices.
    Counting to 3 and beyond... have the numbers cut out and get them to put them in the right order.
    Song: When Goldilocks went to the house of the bears oh what did her blue eyes see... (if you know it)
    Make porridge/taste it.
    Have porridge oats in a tray for them to fill containers etc.
    Make bear masks (loads on the interent that you can print off.)
    Make a house from pre cut shapes... you can talk through squares, colours and any other shapes you choose for windows etc.
    If you put Goldilocks and the three bears into google there are a few websites that have printable activities such as pics of the chairs, beds etc in the story that the children can cut out and stick in the right order etc....
    Oh.. always briefly mention why Goldilocks shouldn't have gone into the house!
    I think that would keep you going for a while!

4. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

also... make a picture of a house (or a bear if you are great at drawing) of dots that they can follow and join up with a pencil.
    I love working in Nursery....hope you have a great time! [​IMG]

5. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

The advice above is excellent, I think EYFS last minute supply lessons are always excellent when based around a book to set a theme. When I havent been able to plan/make anything I often take in a puppet with a name to make things interesting or to help with learning as well 'Eddie has heard you can count to 10, can you show him' or 'Eddie has mixed up the numbers 1-5 can you help' 'what letter is eddie holding?'

6. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Thanks Mrs Pip I've popped that one on my supply disk. I'm not EYFS trained, but since doing supply find myself enjoying the little ones much more than I expected.
    Of course I'll be singing/humming
    [​IMG]

7. Many thanks for all those responses -- I'm now sort of looking forward to tomorrow with the prospect of using some of these great ideas.