1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

any get-rid-of-nausea tips?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by chocolate_cupcake, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am due to go for some tests on Monday at a breast clinic and am very nervous about it. Due to the nerves I have this constant feeling of nausea and occasionally a dodgy stomach. My body often reacts this way when I am nervous, but because of the 'seriousness' of the tests, it is particularly bad this time. Any tips for calming down the nauseated feeling? I have tried drinking ginger tea and sticking to fairly bland food, but to no avail. I am going out for a 3 course meal tonight and normally I love my food so am a bit gutted to be feeling a bit rough! Am currently sipping lemon and ginger tea to try and calm things down a bit. I know if I was less nervous/worried I would feel better but I can't help it!
    Thanks x

2. Hi all,
    I am due to go for some tests on Monday at a breast clinic and am very nervous about it. Due to the nerves I have this constant feeling of nausea and occasionally a dodgy stomach. My body often reacts this way when I am nervous, but because of the 'seriousness' of the tests, it is particularly bad this time. Any tips for calming down the nauseated feeling? I have tried drinking ginger tea and sticking to fairly bland food, but to no avail. I am going out for a 3 course meal tonight and normally I love my food so am a bit gutted to be feeling a bit rough! Am currently sipping lemon and ginger tea to try and calm things down a bit. I know if I was less nervous/worried I would feel better but I can't help it!
    Thanks x

3. Poor you!! I was going to suggest ginger tea ! Soda water sometimes helps. Perhaps if you had a nice long soak in the bath it might help to relax you.

Sorry I am not much help.

Good luck for Monday and I hope you manage to enjoy tonight!

4. redgrape

redgrape New commenter

I suffered like this just before Christmas due to some spinal tests and found this helpful.

I used deep breathing exercises when feeling very nervous or I eat plain rich tea biscuits if allowed to eat.

I hope the tests go Ok for you on Monday.

Take Care

Redgrape

5. casper

casper New commenter

All the best Chocolate Cupcake, I have been there. You will be looked after, hope all goes well.

6. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Ginger is brilliant for nausea. Trying steep sliced fresh ginger in hot water for several minutes before drinking. You can chew directly on the root ginger if you wish, but this might be a bit unpalettable!
    Alternatively, I hear that ginger biscuits have medicinal qualities.
    Finally, you could always try my foolproof, but somewhat odd, cure for hangover nausea: fill a glass half-full with full fat coke. Add half a teaspoon of sugar....the coke with fizz up violently, but with die down quickly and the coke with be flat. Drink this and it helps the nausea. Could work.

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

crystallised ginger. Nibble on a lump before the traumatic event.

8. Peppermint oil...just a couple of drops in a glass of water....good luck!

9. Thanks everyone. I had a lovely time at the meal last night. I didn't manage to eat everything but I ate well considering how sick I have been feeling. The nausea has returned today, will try some of the remedies suggested.

Sometimes I feel silly for being so nervous as chances are everything is ok, but the unknown is always a bit scary.!