1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any GCSE exam boards that are exam-based, not controlled assessment?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rosaespanola, May 20, 2011.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

We do AQA GCSE for languages, and we're getting on OK with the controlled assessments so I'm not looking to start a debate about the pros and cons (there are plenty of threads already about that!). I'm just wondering if there are any exam boards which still offer a course that's assessed through exams rather than controlled assessments, but includes the same topics as the AQA GCSE? The reason I'm asking is that I have a boy in my Y9 class who has Aspergers and although he's pretty good at languages and I would estimate would be capable of getting at least a C, probably a B, he's completely disorganised and scatty and really cannot cope with preparing and practising controlled assessments. I'm wondering if there are any alternatives for him, as it'd be a real shame for him to get a poor grade in the end just because the method of assessment really doesn't work for him. Can anyone make any suggestions?

2. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

We do AQA GCSE for languages, and we're getting on OK with the controlled assessments so I'm not looking to start a debate about the pros and cons (there are plenty of threads already about that!). I'm just wondering if there are any exam boards which still offer a course that's assessed through exams rather than controlled assessments, but includes the same topics as the AQA GCSE? The reason I'm asking is that I have a boy in my Y9 class who has Aspergers and although he's pretty good at languages and I would estimate would be capable of getting at least a C, probably a B, he's completely disorganised and scatty and really cannot cope with preparing and practising controlled assessments. I'm wondering if there are any alternatives for him, as it'd be a real shame for him to get a poor grade in the end just because the method of assessment really doesn't work for him. Can anyone make any suggestions?

3. Linguo24

Linguo24 New commenter

As far as I know, all GCSE boards have to do Controlled Assessment in some form. If an exam option had been available this year and last, I think many, many schools would have taken it. One option might be the Edexcel IGCSE which ahas a written exam and an (optional) Oral exam ie you can take it and get an extra certificate for it, but, if you don't, it doesn't affect the overall grade for the IGCSE language you're doing.

4. You can also do asset languages which is equivalent to a GCSE.
    But, if you can't do any other exam, why don't you set it up in a way that looks like a normal exam? If you say to him, right, prepare this topic, study this and such and such a day you will be sitting a test on this topic.
    If he can cope with other exams and the other reason he can't cope with this is because of the preparation, just make it look like a proper exam.

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

That's what a school in our region does. Give their students preparation questions on two topics, then do one day of oral exams towards the end of Y11 and do both speaking CAs on that day, much in the style of the old oral exam. And for the writing, same - two hours, two essays, that's it.

6. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Pretend that the controlled assessment is a practice, have the recorder on... (not that you're allowed to do that)
    MM