1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any game ideas for a child on Autistic Spectrum?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by frances_earnshaw1, Jan 24, 2018.

1. frances_earnshaw1

frances_earnshaw1 New commenter

I am working 1-1 with a child age six on the Autistic Spectrum. I have had a visit from the SEND officer and I am getting some things right, but have not had training. I accidentally discovered social stories when searching for ideas online, and the child loves them. I may be getting some training in how to use them, starting in March.

Mainly, I am quite inventive but would love some ideas for quick and easy games or activities! The setting is Steiner Kindergarten, so no formal lessons yet. The child is already showing signs of being good at spelling, even unfamiliar names, likes words, is good at crafts and needs to be given a lot to do.

Computers are not available in the Kindergarten setting, but any games based on memory, social skills, words or pictures or which can be achieved with a pencil and paper would be good. I can download things at home and bring them in if you know of online resources.

2. boobette

boobette New commenter

Connect 4. Scrabble or Uno cards?

3. frances_earnshaw1

They are a little old for him, but thank you for trying! I have just bought some memory card games for him. Must think of some things which don't cost me...

4. mrsclw1

mrsclw1 New commenter

Hi
    Is Lego therapy something that can be tried?
    Maybe see what resources there are online, print instructions and try? If Lego or any construction toys are available in your setting?

5. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

Dobble is great for all ages from 4 to 74! Picture based, a fab game.

6. frances_earnshaw1

This one looks perfect! Thank you. I did get some memory card games too. He needs to be shown what he is good at, at the moment.

7. frances_earnshaw1

Sorry I did not reply before. Lego is not allowed in the main classroom, but I can take him aside for card or board games, as he is going up to class 1 next Sept. He is in Steiner Kindergarten at the mo. I bought a couple of memory games to try. Thanks.

8. frances_earnshaw1

Found it on E-bay this morning!

9. frances_earnshaw1

Found Dobble on e-bay this morning!

olunchick likes this.
  10. olunchick

olunchick Occasional commenter

It’s an amazingly simple concept. My own children enjoy it and I used to play it at the end of lunch time with a couple of different aged kids that needed some calming down time ;-) before getting back to class. I hope your boy enjoys it.

11. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Try things like a farm yard, trains, zoo animals.

Lego.
    Lego therapy requires training. I have been on one of the courses. You can't just pick it up and do it.