1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any fun ideas/activities for teaching time to Year 1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KarrieGem, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am planning a week on time with Year 1. Time is not one of my favourite things to teach and I'm just wondering if anyone has any great ideas or things that worked well for them when teaching time?

Thanks in advance,
    K x

2. inq

inq

Mine like doing time! We have made clocks and looked at real clocks and which hand moves fastest. We've sung a few songs for days of the week, drawn what we do on each day. We linked half hours to our half work and colouring in half a circle and then looking at how the minute hand is half way round the clock face at half past - it seems obvious but some of my children seemed to find it quite a revelation. We have a game on the IWB where we match hour and half hour analogue and digital clocks and they are good at that too.
    I try and take opportunities to use the class clock to talk about 'real' times when we are working.
    It never ceases to amaze me how some children grasp time quickly and others really struggle, I've got one little girl who really struggles with everything who looks at the clocks in the game and can tell the time quickly and accurately on both analogue and digital clocks.