1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any experience of working part-time?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by xmal, Jan 23, 2019.

1. xmal

xmal Established commenter

I'm in my early 50s and thinking of going 0.8. Partly because I'm constantly knackered. Any thoughts/experiences?

2. Gavster77

Gavster77 Occasional commenter

A colleague went to 0.6, didn't suffer a great drop in pay and she's never looked happier. You can do it for a year as a kind of fractional sabbatical. Give it a go.

3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Be careful you don't go 0.8 with a 1.0 workload. Good luck.

Marisha, sicilypat and GuessWho like this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I was 0.8 for quite a while and dropped down to 0.6 thinking that would take me to 60 or possibly a bit later. My plan has not worked out at all and as a result,I will be leaving at the end of this school year. There are specific reasons that I won't go into on here but in general,being at school 3 days instead of 4 means more shared classes,far less non contact time to do your work at school (therefore more to do at home),less money but a similar workload.

Marisha and sicilypat like this.
  5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I did it for a year early on in my teaching. I loved it. It probably wasn't an ideal contract for some, as I had 3 afternoons and two mornings per week but it was great - 3 relaxed late starts and two early finishes. And of course, tax means that your take home is a good bit more than 50%.

Would recommend it - but avoid the traps mentioned by bigjimmy and catmother.

6. Crabbitmare

Crabbitmare New commenter

I do 0.6. It's great in some ways but I've found you get given spilt classes and they're mainly the dregs. I've also found many Pts are unsympathetic to part time worker... watch out that they don't have you doing every parents night and expecting you to attend every DM.
    Money's ok.

7. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

Two points. Before you make any decision, see your HT, and suggest it on the condition that it would be a full day off. If there is overcapacity then they may be able to swing it with HR, if they agree then make sure the 0.8 over 4 days is written into your new contract, otherwise you may end up 0.8 contact over 5 days and you won't feel the benefit. I've seen staff "winding down" on 0.6fte who've had classes dotted all over the place on their timetables and were in every day. Needles to say they didn't "wind down" very long, most were off as soon as possble. Secondly, I'm surprised the unions have never tackled the issue of reduced contact time for older staff, e.g. over 55 or 60. As it stands 67yr old PE teachers are expected to be jumping around the games hall for 22.5 hrs a week, madness.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  8. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I think it's a good decision and something I'd consider when I get older. In addition to the advice above, I'd add that I don't think you can necessarily pick your day off so that you get a long weekend, or the Wednesday off to break your week up more. I think it'll depend on when your department has least classes. You may also find yourself owing days if your day off falls on holidays.

It's been alluded to above but in my experience I've seen that part-timers are more likely to be 'maxed out' on contact time in departments where there is some additional time. Being 0.8 you are also likely to still be the main teacher for any classes you share if it's a subject which sees all pupils for most or all days of the week.

Issues about number of parents' evenings (and potentially attending these even if on days off), after school meetings, marking and reporting you have to do isn't always as clear cut as many seem to think too and it's down to department agreement, with support from SMT if required and potentially union help if agreement can't be reached.

All that said, it could still be worth it for that extra day away from work. Good luck to you and I hope you manage to make the right decision for yourself.

9. Marisha

Marisha Established commenter

This. It's what happened to me.
    Also, don't let them try to sucker you over the WTA.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Grossly unfair in some cases!

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  11. Crabbitmare

Sorry Catmother...do you mean the pts are grossly unfair. That has been my experience and that of a fair few friends. Active discrimination.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed, that is exactly what I meant. As I said in another post,I have experience of working P/T on various points (in the same school on permanent contracts for many years) and went down to 0.6 thinking this would allow me to go to retirement age and possibly a few years past 60. This has backfired and not worked out for me at all. 0.6 has made me a pawn in the making of the timetable in a way 0.8 did not. I'm now done with it all and will be going at the end of this school year,when my plan was always to go to at least 60. The whole experience has been a total slap in the face.

13. Crabbitmare

Yes similar to my experience.. they still expect you to do everything for less money.

14. Marisha

Marisha Established commenter

FWIW, as a PT I used to have to battle my Headteacher to stop him taking advantage of the part-timers. For example, I constantly had to remind him that he couldn't expect them to do the entirety of the WTA. I also had to tell him that I'd taken union advice on this, particularly when he used the 'Oh, but staff will want to...' line.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  15. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

At times like that I remind myself that the HT or DHT or FH or PT is just a teacher, whose life has been spent bossing weans about. Most have no "management" or even "personal" skills whatsoever. Eg, do managers order pencils through PECOS? They do! But that's a simple task a 16-y-o could do!

Marisha likes this.
  16. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

I do 0.8 but specify the face that I want Wednesday off. That way I never work more than two days in a row and am never more than one day away from a day off!

Marisha likes this.