1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any expectant mothers 35+?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Millie dog, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

I'm 36...and my partner is 15 years older than me! I'm also the first of my friends (all my age) to have children, although i know it is in the life plan for all of them.
    I don't feel old at all!! :)

2. Yes, I'm 35 and expecting my first. Feeling great at the moment at 24 weeks :0) Feel it's the right time for me...

3. Hi,

I'm 37 and currently 30 weeks pregnant. Only 6.5 weeks left until maternity leave and absolutely exhausted....but loving being pregnant all the same : )

4. hi there, thanks for your replies. have your pregnancies all gone well so far??
    I dont feel old at all, I'm just a bit anxious, especially about testing for Downs. Not many of my friends have children either.....
    least i'm not alone here :)

5. Don't want to jinx anything but yes so far I'm loving being pregnant :0)- all tests have been fine and despite my 'old' age I'm low risk so all birthing options are available etc.

6. Hi,
    I'm 37, dh is 44 and I'm 27 weeks pregnant. We already have a toddler but despite feeling tired I feel great!
    Downs testing is very sophisticated now so age isnt the main factor. They use a combination of ultrasound nuchal fold measurements with blood test results to give a risk factor rather than those age/risk tables you can see on the internet. Despite my age, my risk is 1 in 7800.
    My midwife assures me I'm nowhere near the oldest mum she sees.
    Relax and enjoy!

7. MLT

MLT

I was 35 when I had my daughter a year ago. I never felt old untill I started talking to doctors and midwives about the pregnancy. Seriously, they would start each sentence with, "As you are an older mother there are bigger risks" - yes me kicking you in the teeth.
    As soon as I found out I was pregnant, we discussed the Downs test, I had it and it was fine. I also wondered off to the hosiptal drank a bottle of lucazade, returned a few hours latter and had a urine and blood test. All fine.
    My Lo was 2 weeks late, 12 hours of delivery, and litterarly opened her eyes smacked the midwife, closed her eyes again and refused to make a noise untill she was good and ready!
    I know there are risks about being an older parent, but I really, all pregnancies carry risks and are different.
    I will say, that being an older parent does mean adapting to a LO is a little more difficult, but I guess thats true of any first baby.
    Enjoy and don't google!

8. brilliant advice there MLT, thanks. Yeah its the condescending manner I'm dreading as well....!!

9. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I was 42 when I had first baby 5 months ago. None of the health professionals referred to me as an older mum! I did have an horrendous pregnancy, but that was nothing to do with my age.
    It's fabulous! Loving every minute of it!

10. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

having my little girl - well, not so little now at 6!, was the best thing I have ever done! Shame that I spend so much time teaching that I have not always spent the time I should with her!

11. now thats a lovely post :)

12. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Not my first babies, but I had my last two children at 39 and 42, just before my 40th and 43rd birthdays. They are now 14 and 11 and I still don't feel old - although my grey hairs say otherwise!
    It really is true that having children keeps you young and they are truly a blessing.