1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any exciting ideas for teaching AQA English Unit 1 F please?

Discussion in 'English' started by shakespearessis, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Many of you will probably be in the same position in that your pupils are taking the exam on 10th January. We will be doing extra sessions before the exam to make sure pupils are really confident but I am feeling I have exhausted all my creativity. Am suffering death by Power Point and wonder if anyone has any exciting or innovative ideas that will enthuse and instil confidence in lower ability pupils please?
    The mocks revealed that marks were lost in the bigger mark questions on both sections so any ideas would be very, very welcome. My email is: rout34ten976@yahoo.co.uk.
    Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to you all x

2. Lodas of good resources on YouTube - here's a sample search: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gcse+english+revision+foundation&oq=gcse+english+revision+foundation&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=5717l9473l0l9595l32l29l0l21l21l0l166l829l4.4l8l0
    We've used this sort of learning a lot - just always worth checking that it's for the right paper and that it makes sense - some videos are for the old syllabus. Best thing is that they are in charge of their learning in terms of the pace and they can do it in class or at home. Also, just watching them is useful but really they need to have a task to do to follow up and act on the advice they have been given.
    HNY!

3. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

shakespearesis - something my class really enjoyed was creating their own exam paper. I found some suitable texts that were linked and got them to use past papers to create appropriate questions for each text, together with writing tasks. They then had to create mark schemes as well, with bullet points for each of the Section A questions.
    Students started off in groups of four to decide which question each would focus on (my class are doing the higher paper). They then worked in groups with others who were creating the same question/mark scheme.
    It's not massively exciting or whizzy, but gave them a lot of confidence about how to approach the unseen texts. On the whole, they did well in their mock exam so hopefully this played a part.
    I'm running out of ideas as well now, have one lesson and one Saturday revision before the 10th, more and more practice!

4. Sorry for the delay in response but have had internet problems.
    Thank you so much for these wonderful ideas-very much appreciated.
    Shakes