1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Ex-Teachers... advice please?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by GEM-6892, Jan 25, 2018.

1. GEM-6892

GEM-6892 New commenter

Hi,

I am currently in my third year of teaching. Went straight into a PGCE after Fine Art degree. Was close to quitting PGCE. At the end of PGCE wasn't even looking for teaching jobs but my school had a position and wanted me to stay (I thought getting my NQT year done would be a good idea). Here I am 2 and a half years later knowing that it wasn't for me from the beginning. I am good at my job, liked by my department and feel I have made some very good contributions however I just don't know how I can do this for the rest of my life - I can't even fathom seeing myself teaching next year!. The thought of all the marking makes me anxious and now am even starting to dislike delivery my lessons. I am constantly knackered and never on top of work. I love making the resources and actually enjoy the free's where I get to sit at my desk and make resources/research etc. I also just really miss adult communication! I'm only 25 and feel like I'm missing out on life and other opportunities.

Apologies for ranting on but I wanted to see if there were any other ex-teachers out there who made this move and the careers you are now pursuing?

Many thanks

Dixie_Stamford likes this.
  2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I'n not sure I would be hanging around these forums if I was an ex-teacher. I would say that you are young enough to start again. Sorry not to be able to offer advice but maybe someone will come along and make some suggestions

3. kevinweav

kevinweav New commenter

As someone who made a career outside of teaching and is now looking to come back, fully refreshed and with industry experience after 10 years, I wouldn't change my decision to leave when I did if offered the chance. Not that all decisions we make all the time will be good, but it's certainly true that we regret most of all what we don't do. So i'd say have a look around, if there's something that ignites your passion then go for it. You may find like me that later on down the line it's teaching that is lighting your passion again too.

agathamorse and GEM-6892 like this.
  4. GEM-6892

GEM-6892 New commenter

I did think that after posting - thankyou for your reply :)

5. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

For what it's worth, I know quite a few people who have given up teaching and without exception, they all say 'the best move I ever made.'

I tried to escape a few years ago - it didn't work :-(

agathamorse and GEM-6892 like this.
  6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My son didn't know what to do after his degree (French with Italian but he also had strengths in art and theatre studies). He went to London and signed up with an agency, slept on a friends floor. He got temporary work in a theatre doing fundraising stuff just by chance and from there has made a good career in Arts marketing. He would have liked to act but never really had the bottle to risk it but works with creative people and has plenty of opportunity to use his own creativity. He lived on peanuts for 10years mind you. he was told that Arts and media organisations often recruit from agencies and then if people are a good fit offer them permanent contracts.

7. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Good to recognise that it's not for you and so want to make a change. The experience and training you've had will stand you in good stead. There have been several threads in the past about making a change and there are many teachers of longstanding here who are desperate to get out! Have you ever watched Mr Holland's Opus with Richard Dreyfus?

I can suggest getting some career guidance and there are a number of places you can access this, some free and some paid for (varying levels). Your old university is a good place to start, if you Google career change etc you will find many websites and resources. One is called Careershifters https://www.careershifters.org which has toolkits and interesting case studies.

I've posted before that many years ago I paid to be assessed by a company called Career Analysts and I found it life changing. It did and still does cost quite a lot of money but perhaps you can reframe that in terms of comparing it to the cost of a two week foreign holiday. https://www.careeranalysts.co.uk. When I did it, it was a stretch financially but it was worth every penny.

Good luck!

agathamorse, GEM-6892 and kevinweav like this.
  8. GEM-6892

GEM-6892 New commenter

Thankyou so much for all your advice - it has been very helpful

9. GEM-6892

GEM-6892 New commenter

Thankyou for your reply it's so good to hear from someone who made the move - Could I ask what industry it was that you went in to?

10. MisterW

MisterW New commenter

If you don't think you're going to be in for the long haul, then I would say the sooner you leave the better because changing career tends to get slightly harder as you get older and older.

The good news is you're still very young so don't be discouraged. Just turn back the clock to before you started teaching - if teaching weren't an option, what else might you have considered? At 25 it might not even be too late to apply for a grad scheme. Start casually browsing job ads and see what you can find (you most likely will have to take a pay cut though). You could try:

• NHS (they have a management grad scheme)
    • Universities (some of their non-academic roles are still reasonably well paid)
    • Councils
    • The Civil Service
    • Non-teaching jobs in school (there are some on TES)
    That's five places to look just to get you started. The "School's Out..." book by Phil Fletcher (Google it) gives a pretty detailed guide to making a switch from teaching too.

11. kstickley77

kstickley77 New commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

12. JCH74

JCH74 New commenter

13. kstickley77

kstickley77 New commenter

14. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I met someone who had an Arts degree who made a very fine living from buying art from local artists around the country and then selling it in her own gallery. I think it took some time to get going and something to start whilst staying in teaching for a while.

Its a pity I cannot tell a Constable from an Andy Warhol or I would have a go myself. :(

15. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

[QUOTE="JCH74, post: 12522095, member: 1752651"
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    [/QUOTE]
    What a great idea, not sure you are very well publicised??

16. get-out-of-teaching

get-out-of-teaching New commenter

There are inspirational stories of ex teachers and how to get out of teaching on a website called Get out of teaching

PM to get the web address

good boy likes this.
  17. JCH74

JCH74 New commenter

In the process of building a website at the moment. Just on twitter @escapingteach otherwise feel free to message me through TES website. Please note this is not an advert for the course just an offer of help.

18. JCH74

JCH74 New commenter

What a great idea, not sure you are very well publicised??[/QUOTE]

Thanks hammie, I mostly help through word of mouth.

19. martinstickley

martinstickley New commenter