1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any EVERY CHILD COUNT TEACHERS out there?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by noo72, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the training and delivery of lessons, if that's ok. Firstly, I'd like to ask whether you felt the training was sufficient in the early stages of the course to enable you to undertake the teaching confidently. My first few training days are single days which are 2, 3 and 4 weeks apart. I was hoping for a rather more intensive start to the training, with a few days at once...

Secondly, can I ask about timetabling? Are there always 12 children that are taught? What does each child receive each week in terms of tuition? And is there any way that in a small school that the teaching commitment could be delivered over 4 rather than 5 days per week?

Thanks for any info.

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Hi,
    I have been involved with Every Child Counts since 2008 so have some experience.
    The training is probably the best CPD you will experience since your initial teacher training ... it is staggered as there is so much to take on board that you need a bit at a time so you can go away and try a bit and then come back for more.
    This will make complete sense to you once you get going. In fact most Numbers Count teachers will tell you that you will need at least a term (one full cohort) before it all links together.
    Whilst you are in training you have to teach 1-1. How many children you support at one time will depend on your school commitment. Most new NC teachers will work with 4 children at a time, but some are doing this full time so obviously they will support more.
    This year the programme has become more flexible, so you can support children in years 1, 2 or 3 for at least three 30 minute sessions a week each. Each child must receive at least 40 sessions, so if you reduce the number of sessions each week, obviously it will take longer to complete and you will not be able to support as many children.
    If you haven't yet checked out the Edge Hill website do so asap.
    https://everychildcounts.edgehill.ac.uk/
    Happy to answer any questions,
    Carrie [​IMG]

3. HI I'm an every child a counter teacher, and loving it. if you want anymore questions answered I'm happy to help.

4. <font size="2">Hi</font>
    <font size="2">I am going to start my part time job as an every child counts
    teacher. I am nervous about the role because the training involved and wondered if
    there was any reading I could do before it starts? Also, am I entitled to PPA?</font>