1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any dry skin experts out there??

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain oats, Nov 16, 2011.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I have always suffered from dry skin, especially on my face. I never wear any make up apart from a bit of mascara every now and then as my skin is very sensitive.
    I have always used e45 cream without any problems. I apply it to my face every morning, I often put more on after I've washed my hair or had a shower.
    Over the last few weeks I have been developing lots of spots on my forehead (this is where my skin is driest) and this is most probably down to the amount of moisturiser I am putting there. But this has never been a problem before! I am always really reluctant to use new products as whenever I do it causes all kinds of problems. Itchiness, redness, blotches etc.
    So, is there anyone out there with a similar problem that can recommend anything to me?? I'm 26 so haven't got what you would consider mature skin.

2. captain oats

I have always suffered from dry skin, especially on my face. I never wear any make up apart from a bit of mascara every now and then as my skin is very sensitive.
    I have always used e45 cream without any problems. I apply it to my face every morning, I often put more on after I've washed my hair or had a shower.
    Over the last few weeks I have been developing lots of spots on my forehead (this is where my skin is driest) and this is most probably down to the amount of moisturiser I am putting there. But this has never been a problem before! I am always really reluctant to use new products as whenever I do it causes all kinds of problems. Itchiness, redness, blotches etc.
    So, is there anyone out there with a similar problem that can recommend anything to me?? I'm 26 so haven't got what you would consider mature skin.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

What do you wash with?

4. captain oats

I only use water. Soap/facewash irritates my skin.

5. Buy yourself some flaxseed oil (capsules or liquid form)

Ingest it a few times a day. I swear it'll help you.

6. lilachardy

Sounds like you need to wash with something - spots indicate something's not right.

Have you tried aqueous cream?

7. Was about to say the same thing about Aqueous cream. I have eczema and it is one of the few things that doesn't irritate my skin. It is also relatively cheap. I also use Diprobase but get it on prescription. Do you have a fringe? could your hair products be irritating your skin

8. captain oats

Thanks, will try Aqueous cream.
    I don't have a fringe, hair is off my face most of the time. Think it could also be down to washing - any suggestions as to what I could use for cleansing my skin??

9. lilachardy

Erm... aqueous cream?

10. captain oats

Sorry! Didn't realise that's what you'd suggested it for (See, this is why I needed advice - I don't know what I'm talking about lol)

11. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I have same problem and it's particularly bad this year. Aquaeous, E45 and Diprobase all make it worse - too greasy, claggy and make the spots worse. I've used Clinique moisturiser for years without any irritation, possibly worth getting a sample of their cleanser and toner to try?

12. Lanolin can cause spots. It also encourages facial hair growth.

Just so you know...

13. captain oats

I was on the clinque website earlier but there are so many to choose from - which one do you use?

14. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I finf the 'Simple' range doesn't irritate my skin - and it's cheap!

15. Another vote for Clinique here. I use their 3 step system. I found the best think was to go and talk to one of the ladies at a Clinique counter - they are not as scary as they look - and get their advice. They are very knowledgeable about their products and what is best. They also do £20 tester kits for the 3 step system, which contains enough moisturiser for about a month, plus enough face wash and clarrifying lotion for about 2 months, which is usually long enough to tell if it works for you. A friend of mine has really bad excema and she swears by the clinique moisturiser.

16. captain oats

That's really useful, thanks. Will pop in to Debenhams the next time I'm shopping.

17. I've had really dry skin for years and like you used e45 up until recently - Last year I managed to get some discounted Clarins face cream and just thought it was fantastic - It was called Multi Active Day Cream and honestly, best face cream I have used.
    I am currently using Simple's day cream which is a lot lighter than e45 and the Clarins but it is a lot cheaper and seems to just be keeping my skin under control.
    If I had more money then I would definitely go back to Clarins.
    Also just like you I wasn't able for many years to use soaps or anything on my face when washing - in fact even water made my skin go tight and uncomfortable but as I have gotten older I can now use my lovely Clarins gentle face exfoliation cleanser once in a while and when my skin feels a bit yuck I use baby lotion as a bit of a cleanser.
    A really nice tip for dry skin is to put a scoop of oats in a pair of old tights or pop socks and wrap them around the taps and let the hot water run through the oats. Fantastic for dry skin! (just make sure the tights/socks have no holes in them as you might end up in an oaty bath that will block your plug hole) :) x

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Bio-oil at night.
    Marvellous!

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

In discussions with doctors during my days in the NHS, there are mostly only 2 treatments they apply. If the skin is dry, make it wet. If it's wet, make it dry. I've been suffering chronic excema on my feet and legs for a few months. It responds remarkably well to a simple and cheap emolient you can get from the chemist by the litre for far less than the E45 cream.
    The trick is about the frequency you apply it. More than you'd imagine is good.

20. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I agree: Bio oil at night, but Glycerine and Rosewater during the day. It's a wee bit sticky, but very good for my ragingly dry and sensitive skin. Boots stock it. It's a traditional skincare, cheaper than chips and lasts for ages
    Also use Pears or Simple soaps.