1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any current info on Romania and Montenegro?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sincerious, Apr 17, 2017.

1. sincerious

sincerious New commenter

I'm have interviews coming up with schools in these countries. Transylvania specifically in Romania.

Can you save in these countries? Any info on the salary and benefits in these countries?

Like international medical, accomodation allowance?

The schools are either BSO inspected or Cobis accredited so I assume they are relatively decent.

Any info welcome

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There was quite a long discussion recently, started by some silly and smelly African animal, and it was all about whether or not accreditation was a guarantee or promise of anything. Opinion was divided. Part of the problem is that there are different outfits that can "accredit" your school in different ways. Just because the school has been accredited may not actually mean that it won't go bust. Or that they will not advertise a job that does not actually exist. Or that they will refund all of your interview and visa expenses. Or that the toilet in your apartment will flush properly. Or that the parents will behave themselves.

Not sure about BSO and COBIS, but is accreditation really about staff welfare? Or is it actually about teaching and learning? My present school is going through an accreditation process. The happiness and the welfare of the teaching staff seem to be way, way down on the list of the priorities for the accreditation. (I would have thought that a good way to make your teachers happy would be to have fewer meetings, but the opposite usually happens when accreditation is looming.)

In the the ME, I came across school schools that claimed that they had been accredited, but they were not. Often parents do not really understand the subtle differences between the different kinds of accreditation.

I do not know anything about schools in Transylvania, but make sure that you bring that crucifix and plenty of garlic. Mrs. Hippopotamus and her overweight hubby were in Bucharest for two years, at the school that used to be next to the French village. It was a happy place and we liked living next to Parcul Herastrau. The salary was so so.

aussie_teacher_nt likes this.
  3. googlechops

googlechops New commenter

So how do you sniff out the good schools, the hippo, is there anything in the interview process that is a good hint? I know for BSO you can actually look up on the gov.uk website to see the list of schools. Very hard to actually get an accurate account from someone who is / has worked in a country / school you're considering. Do good school's fly you out for an interview? Should you only say yes if you get accommodation?

4. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I'm in Romania now (after lots of positive advice from the hippo) so happy to answer specific questions. I only know the main school in transylvania slightly, though. Send me a pm if I can help.

5. sincerious

sincerious New commenter

I'd love to send you a Pm but I don't think I have enough posts to do it.
    Please be so kind as to start one with me? I really want to get some answers before making my decision tomorrow evening :(

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Thank you, lottee1000. It's nice to be appreciated! The international school near the old airport pays well, I believe, but the Brit school was not so generous.

Yes, you should get your accommodation paid for if you are in Bucharest, otherwise the cost of putting a roof over your head will take a big bite out out of your salary, googlechops.

lottee1000 and googlechops like this.
  7. lottee1000

Sorry for the multiple replies below...

Very poor internet and I am impatient!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  8. lottee1000

You have mail.

And you are very appreciated the hippo!

9. lottee1000