1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any CPD recommendations for SEND teaching?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by ALBR, Jul 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ALBR

ALBR New commenter

I am an English teacher with responsibility for teaching students with a range of needs in a mainstream school. I am looking for CPD resources/conferences/training and am mindful of getting value for money. Does anyone have a recommendation - something they really found helpful and valuable? I am not a new entrant to the profession - old lag looking to update her professional knowledge and understanding.

2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I am a retired French, German and SEN teacher, who worked in a mainstream secondary school. On my website at http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/home/inclusion. I have attempted over two decades to provide subject teachers with access to key documentation about the delivery of their area of the curriculum to students with a variety of additional needs. The English link next to the subheading "Special educational needs" under the heading "Meeting additional needs" on that page will lead you to a range of publications covering the teaching of English to students with autistic spectrum disorders, specific learning difficulties (dyslexia), moderate learning difficulties and visual impairment.

As for professional development courses, it depends what you are looking for. I joined the National Association for Special Educational Needs (NASEN) and spent two years studying part-time for an Open University Advanced Diploma in Special Needs in Education in the mid-1990s, two and a half decades into my teaching career. This scheme of study provided me with the knowledge and confidence to move from my school 's MFL department to its SEN department. You might find something similar with the OU targeting inclusive education if you want to do the same transfer as I did. If you want to remain in your English department, I suggest joining the national subject association dedicated to teachers of English, reading SEN-related articles in its journals and perhaps attending its conferences where there are likely to be talks on SEN strategies.

ALBR likes this.