1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any chance of getting this job?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by BiologyTrainee, Jan 10, 2020.

1. BiologyTrainee

BiologyTrainee New commenter

Hi all,

I just want some comfort really. I am an NQT+1 and have just applied for another job (sideways promotion).

I’m not very unhappy at my current school (not loving it, but less tears than my NQT year) and wouldn’t leave for the sake of it. However when I saw this school advertising I was excited. I really like this school and really think I would do well there.

I sent off my application, but during the process I saw they currently have a trainer teacher, with a PhD at the school already. Do I have any chance at all? I know it shouldn’t matter, but a Dr on staff looks impressive and I don’t know how much they would want that.

My GCSE classes have all done well (many of whom getting way above their targets) and I have experience running a club (that they said was an advantage in the job description). I really feel I would be good in this role.

I’m just feeling very disheartened that they are going to take their NQT and I have no chance :(

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Having a PhD doesn't make you a better teacher. You have nothing to lose by applying for the job and if you get an interview with a trial lesson then it's how well you do at that which matters rather than your qualifications. Just go along and do your best. Even if you don't get the job it will be good experience for your next application.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

And that person probably feels really disheartened that the school are advertising rather than just appointing them!

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

In my experience, being the in-school candidate isn't necessarily an automatic shoo-in for the job. They know you - good and bad.If you get an interview, you just have to show them you are the best person on the day.

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

"I have no chance."

And you've been told that, eh? Did the website state "any other candidates, **** off, because we have a PhD which is shiny shiny and your rubbishy BSc/MSc doesn't matter?"

If it did, then they are cretins, and you do not want to work there. But I reckon it doesn't, and you've fallen into a rather big hole of insecurity and comparison. Which is a shame, as you clearly have a lot of positive attributes to offer a new school. Please, don't get upset about what's on the website.

There is every possibility that the current trainee, as @caterpillartobutterfly says, will be feeling rather ****** off that rather than simply offering a contract, they are advertising. Chances are they might be slightly sensitive to this and not apply. Or they might be poor and their mentor dissuades them. Or they might not want to continue teaching, as life in a school is very different from academia.

A Dr on staff does look impressive...until their results come out. My first school had a Dr as a trainee in Science. He couldn't control the classes, tried to lecture the students rather than plan lessons, and got rather irate that parents and students didn't understand he was a Dr. What he failed to get was that to them, a Dr is someone who prescribes medicine.

You need to go to the interview, if invited, with a good grace. Go there with the attitude of "this sucks, I won't get the job," you won't. It doesn't matter if you're internal or external - what matters is who is best on the day and fits the requirements. I've lost out to externals at two interviews when I was the internal. I've also been to an interview, as a trainee, with another candidate who did her GTP at the school, and an ex-teacher who wanted to return. It was hard hearing everyone with them good luck and ignore me...but as none of us were appointed, clearly they didn't fit the bill, either!

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

If they bothered to advertise and invite external candidates they clearly thought that they could do better than their current employee. They're looking for that from the external applicants, including you.

7. BiologyTrainee

Oh! I didn’t realise schools could just offer to their trainees. I thought they legally had to advertise it - that has made me feel a lot better, thanks!

8. BiologyTrainee

thank you! I really needed to hear this. You’re right, if I assume they’ll give the place to them I’ll do really badly. And if they are right for the job, they’re right for the job - just like anyone else who applies. I’ll just keep my fingers-crossed for an interview and try my best if I’m lucky enough to get an interview.

steely1 and agathamorse like this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Nope!

Pomza and agathamorse like this.
  10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

No, they don't have to advertise.

Nor do they have to invite an internal to an interview. I was told this once by someone. I was later told by a HoD thst this isn't the case.

Pomza, TheoGriff and agathamorse like this.
  11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

12. BiologyTrainee

Thanks for all your support! If anyone was following this, or comes across it in the future, I’ve been offered an interview for this post! Now to prepare and hope they like me as much as I like this school :)

13. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Great news ... remember the interview process is as much for your benefit as theirs - be sure you feel you are the right fit for each other. Good luck!

TheoGriff and agathamorse like this.