1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Career Changers out there?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by vanessa7000, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hello
    After a lot of hard work I'm feeling very lucky to have been accepted onto a Primary PGCE course.
    But there's also a bit of me that is quite nervous about leaving what I know (and what pays pretty well) to re-train.
    Please don't get me wrong. I LOVE working in schools... just have a slight jittery feeling and wondered if anyoune else felt the same?

2. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I've been saying for years that I'm wasted in the office... and now I'm going to prove it. :-D

3. I would be a career changer but I can't get a place to do ITT!
    In all seriousness, I have a wonderful job but it doesn't take me where I want to be in ten years. I feel that teaching would.
    There's no point in worrying too much about not finding a job as then you would sit in the office you are in in fear. You'll always have the experience in your old career should teaching not work out. You're far more likely to regret not having a go than having a go in my opinion.

4. Absolutely, I hear you DJDave1979. I finished uni in 2003, I've worked in PR in London for a year then for my local authority in Children's Services and now Adult Social Care. I haven't been happy in an office for a long while, and the money hasn't even been that great (what have I been doing?!). The only thing keeping me here would be fear of change and I ain't hiding behind that no more no sirree! I got divorced last year, makes me sound old but actually my life has started again and I am certainly not walking into teaching thinking I'll be different to my knackered, sometimes disillusioned teacher friends. Working with young people has to rate up there with one of the most challenging options going and yes I may be naive thinking I'll definitely have a job after all this but I'm going to work my hardest to make it that way (IoE Secondary English). I'll be moving to London by myself, using and losing all my savings and job security but fear is holding me back no more. Now, back to holding my head in my hands at having to move back in with my parents in the meantime. Wish me luck. [​IMG]

5. Hi All
    I've really enjoyed this post! I'm 40, will be 41 soon after starting my GTP in September. I've been in IT sales since 1994 and whilst the money is good, the work is soul-destroying and meaningless. I applied for a secondary PGCE in 1993 after graduation, didn't get on and it's been nagging at me ever since. I've now got a place on a GTP course (Primary) and am very excited and very scared!
    I'm married with two young sons (both of whom will be in the school that I'm training in). We are not looking forward to the next couple of years financially, but I can't wait to get started! The thought of a new career is fabulous! Luckily my current employer knows and is supportive, which helps. Six months to go and counting!!
    Clive

6. Mackem85

Mackem85 New commenter

I'm a career changer too. Finished my masters in 2009 and been working in an area related to my masters degree since then. However, I've realised that its not what I want to do. I applied for PGCEs in 2007, 2008 and 2009 (prior to my masters and during it) but never got onto one, so I thought I would never be in a position to train to be a teacher. Just in my last year of trying I have managed to get onto a PGCE and I am so excited. Worried about giving up my income a bit and the possibilities of no job at the end of it, but if I don't do it now I never will. Only four months left of work until I have a long summer break before starting in September :)

7. This thread has been really interesting! I too am a career changer, I have not been able to tell anyone at work about it yet and won't be able to until I hand in my notice in May! So excited though, can't wait for September to finally arrive.
    I really agree with what a lot of earlier posters have said. Although my current job in the city is well paid and actually pretty decent hours, it just isn't fulfilling. I've always wanted to teach since I graduated and now I've decided that I really should just go for it - I've always got the experience from my current job to fall back on if it doesn't work out (although I hope that won't be necessary!)
    Unfortunately I've also experienced people who seem to say "why are you leaving your job for teaching?" but I keep reminding myself of the reasons why I'm doing it and I know that it's definitely the right decision. Hopefully I'll be saying the same thing in a year's time! [​IMG]

8. Avahne - I'm in the same position. I'm planning my boss in April and can't wait!

I've been working in marketing since 2003 and am currently in a well paid job and doing really well, but it's just not enough. There have been highs and lows but I'm so ready for this change.

Bring on September!

9. Mackem85

Mackem85 New commenter

When's everyone planning on finishing work?

10. Main83

Main83 New commenter

I'm handing in my notice in July - to finish at the start of August. Going to take August off to relax and bit and move house etc...

I'm dying to quit though! The way things are going I might get made redundant before I get the chance.

11. Main83 - I'm doing the same thing. I can't wait for August either!

12. I want Septemebr to arrive soooon!! I told my work yesterday about me leaving, but there is so much I need to finish before I go. I agreed to work will the first weekend in September and considering the first school week I have to get a KS1 placement sorted I won't really have much time to myself. I must be mad!

13. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I'll be working right up to the very last Friday before starting my Sept placement. Halving the household income means that I just can't afford to stop earning beforehand.
    I am fortunate that I have a husband who's earning who can (just about) keep the roof over our heads. Our childcare costs will increase as we'll have to use the school's 'Breakfast Club' quite often, in addition to the After School Club that they already go to.
    How's everyone else here going to manage losing their salary?

14. Main83

Main83 New commenter

Fortunately I don't have dependents or a mortgage, so I am saving as much money as I can now to try and see me through the PGCE. I'm also resigned at having to move back with my mum 10 years after I left home to save on accommodation costs.

Also my rental agreement is almost up so I decided to sofa surf around the city to take avantage of friend's kindness and save on London rent prices for a few months.