1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any books you've found invaluable?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by KarrieGem, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has any books that they have found invaluable during their NQT year. I've read Sue Cowley's guide to surviving the first year but just wondered if their are any other books or resources that people have found really useful. I am with Year 1 so I am thinking primary mainly,

K x

2. Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has any books that they have found invaluable during their NQT year. I've read Sue Cowley's guide to surviving the first year but just wondered if their are any other books or resources that people have found really useful. I am with Year 1 so I am thinking primary mainly,

K x

3. Essential Primary Science. I use it all the time. It gives you the subject knowledge you need to teach, then divides into KS1 and KS2 with some good web links and lesson ideas.

4. Im secondary science but 'pimp your lesson' is pretty good, full of unusual ideas and quite focussed on observations.

I x

5. I teach Year 1 and best book I have read is 'Moving on to Key Stage 1' by Julie Fisher. It really gives a good grounding of what successful practice in Year 1 is like x

6. Hi K
    My maths isn't my best subject so 'Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers' was helpful. Also a good read with plenty of advice from 'Learning to Teach in the Primary School'. Both can be found on Amazon.Best of Luck! [​IMG]Figgy

7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I'm more experienced, but I think that "The Lazy Teacher's Handbook" by Jim Smith is worth it's weight in gold. It's one of the only books I've read with actual useful examples and strategies to use in your lessons.
    Seriously, buy it now.

8. Thanks for the replies. I have seen 'the lazy teacher's handbook' before I think but I thought it was more for secondary teacher's, wil take another look.

K x

9. The Perfect (OFSTED) Lesson by Jackie Beere - fantastic :)