1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any bird experts on here?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bacardibreezer, Apr 22, 2011.

1. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

Saw a beautiful bird in the garden today. It was about the size of a blackbird but its plumage was much fluffier and there were other colours in it - almost like oil mixed with water.
    I thought at first it might be a crow chick but its beak wasn't the right shape- it was like a blackbird's beak but a bit bigger and slightly longer. It was gathering leaves in its beak.
    After a few minutes, another one - but this one with much lighter, more brown coloured feathers - joined it in the tree.
    I'm not a big fan of birds - in fact, it one flaps anywhere near me I'm likely to hit the deck. But this one was particularly lovely and I'd love to find out what it is. I've tried all sorts of Google searches am but still no nearer to knowing what it was.
    Any budding twitchers out there who can help me out?

2. Starling: [​IMG]

3. Starling - that's what I would have said. But I am no Bill Oddy!

4. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

Urgh! Starlings are dirty b@stards! Off to find my catapult [​IMG]

Thanks, though, sideshow. (and to all the bird lovers out there - I'm joking about the catapult. But they're still dirty, 'orrible things)

5. Its not sat in a medium sized tree, with pale green beech-type leaves that are covered with light coloured hair by any chance , is it ?

6. Our British birds are really beautiful, almost as colourful as those in foreign climes. Even the hedge sparrow has beautiful colouring.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

8. I read the title of the thread as "Angry Birds" - I think I'm an expert on that, not your actual birds, I'm afraid.

9. I remember many years back hearing that starlings were dying out. Not in my loft, I thought, and certainly not in my garden. Moved 7 years ago and there are are loads of starlings nesting in my roof. We see a wonderful display every evening of thousands of starlings flocking prior to roosting.

10. [​IMG] Starling flocks are beautiful though

11. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

In what way are starlings 'dirty'?

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Have you ever seen one using soap?

13. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

No, but I have seen one taking a bath ...

14. Bloody hell Blazer, you just lost me my bet with myself.
    I saw the thread title and bet there would be replies of one kind or another from Bauble, Blazer and Harsh.
    You'll be along sooner or later, just not soon enough [​IMG]

15. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I have never understood why people don't like starlings, their plumage is iridescent and their flock are one of the most glorious sights. I have some photos from within a flock that swooped over and around me, I shall see if I can find them.

16. In the sunshine, a starling does sound most likely. But hings are deceptive: I asked in here a while ago for a name for a pigeon-shaped bird that was orangey-brown and hung out with the other biurds in the garden. I couldn't identify it from the RSPB website or my aged Observor's Book Of Birds.
    It turned out to be a wood pigeon that had taken a dust bath in a neighbour's pile of building dusty stuff - dunno what it was but apparently quite a few birds had taken a fancy.