1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any been in the same situation ??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by missjones21, Jun 12, 2011.

1. missjones21

missjones21 New commenter

Due to being unable to secure a teaching job last september (and supply being sporadic), i took on work as a foundation phase assistant. This wasnt ideal, as i took a large pay cut (half my teacher salary (as my local LEA just brought in that support staff only get paid term time only) I've done the job for a year, and havent been fully happy as it's been a rather stressful working relationship with the class teacher (who doesnt have great working relationships with most school staff) anyway they have offered me a permanent contract now, still on the same salary. Which for now i accepted.
    However i have now found out i am expecting (very early days only 5 weeks), and am waiting to hear about another job i applied for (a school i did supply in) which is offering a one year contract initially with the prospect of it becoming permanent. With my pregnancy i am due around feb, so would have to leave end of jan. I would much prefer to be teaching and love the school where this teaching job is. In the 6 months from sept-feb i would earn double what i would as an assistant each month, but then would have no job upon my return after maternity leave. Not sure if i would be entitled to MA? However if i stayed as an assistant i would be on minimal wages, get some maternity (not sure how much) and would have a job to go back to after a year.
    I'm not sure what my entitlements would be with smp/ma, and has anyone been in this situation? Any advice would be appreciated! I just dont know what to do!!

2. Are you a member of a union? Might be worth giving them a call as they should be able to answer some of these questions for you.

3. There are a couple of issues here......
    Firstly- workload, when you go back to work after mat leave you would be able to work a full week and earn the same (ish!) as you would working part time in teaching. BUT you would not have the marking, planning, parents evenings etc. Think carefully here- I would quite like a ta job at the moment, no ten hour days!
    Secondly I THINK if you worked 26 weeks in the new post before leaving on mat leave you would get mat pay but it may not be anything more than the £120 a week. If you aren't entitled to this, you might be entitled to the same amount from the govt as maternity allowance.
    Money isn't everything :)