1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Australian teachers in the UAE or KSA?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Aim4Jannah, May 17, 2019.

1. Aim4Jannah

Aim4Jannah New commenter

Hello everyone :)

I am looking to connect with my fellow Australian teachers who have made the move and are working abroad. Its something i want to do in the near future and the countries I can consider at the moment are KSA and the UAE.

Is anyone working at either of the Australian international schools in the UAE ? Have yet to come across any job openings but am hopeful something comes up!

Would love to chat with anyone who has moved abroad from Australia to these regions, so if you have made the move please share your experience :):)

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, there is an Australian school in Sharjah, I believe.

It used to be the case that there were many Aussies (and Kiwis) in international schools, in the UAE, Qatar and elsewhere. There certainly were quite a few of them when this old hippo was in China. Generally speaking, teachers from Down Under do not have too many problems adapting to teaching in a British curriculum school, once they have got over the shock of having to work with a load of pommie *******s.

The serious lack of beer in the KSA might explain why I never met any Oz teachers while I was there.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  3. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

I would suggest not limiting yourself to just the UAE and KSA, and certainly look beyond Australian schools. From what I have heard the majority of Australian schools overseas are for profit schools and generally the packages fall behind the better quality British, US and IB schools. If taking the plunge and moving away from your home country working with a new curriculum and a diverse range of collegues can be highly rewarding. It has been my experience that Australian teachers adapt well to new educational environments and are usually appreciated.

rideemcowboy and dumbbells66 like this.
  4. Aim4Jannah

Aim4Jannah New commenter

Thankyou both for your replies :)

I always enjoy reading your input Hippo and it was reassuring that Oz teachers can easily adapt to the British curriculum.

Snitzelvonkrumm, i had assumed (not sure why!) that Australian schools would offer competitive packages and that i would transition more smoothly if i start international teaching in such schools.

Moving to the ME suits both my personal and professional life, and these 2 regions appeal to me however can consider other parts of the ME. Is there particular regions that perhaps are less favourable and therefore offer a more competitive package such as being more rural?

5. travellingteacher21

travellingteacher21 New commenter

Having transitioned between the two curriculums, i must say the BC has been extremely accommodating, open and much less restrictive. It is also a very well resourced curriculum in my opinion where much planning, lessons and assistance can be found online for help. I can't say the same for Oz or the IB for that matter.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.