1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any amazing ideas for making teaching the weather (in German) a little more interesting?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by squirlywhirly, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hi there,

Wondered if anyone had any good ideas for teaching the weather in German? I have to teach this to no fewer than 5 of my new groups, 4 x Y8 (sets 1-4) and my Y9 set 4 who aren't so confident/able in German and are therefore more like a Y8 group!

So far have done the first lesson for Y9 - introducing the key vocabulary, noughts & crosses and writing about what the weather is like in Germany. They all looked bored stiff.

Any suggestions gratefully received, I'm an NQT who's new to teaching German (despite having a degree in it) and have not taught the weather before on my placements last year!

2. How about using TV weather forecasts. Although they are fast, they are authentic and therefore might arouse curiosity (I say this as a total non-Germanist). With really targeted listening they could be used. You could also pause and ask questions about the weather map, this could include NSEW, German cities, mountains etc.
    This could be developed to students producing simple forcasts, which could be videoed. I can see homework/ class reading comps drawing up a weather map on an outline of Germany according to a written forecast. Internet search homework in German to find weather in different locations in Germany/ Europe.
    This could also revise/teach months/ seasons/ days of the week/ numbers for temperature.

3. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

I always use sign language for weather, and I do it fast if they are too cool for it- you engage them by forcing them to join in then whip through all the weathers. I use the British sign language gestures ( I had a couple of deaf girls a few years back and they taught me the gestures)- you could search online (there is an American website that has videos of a woman demonstrating words) or maybe there will be something on youtube.
    Or get them to come up with their own sign language?

4. What I usually do is miming, drill the pronunciation, simon says, i have cards for them to practice in pairs, they know right from the start that the outcome is for them to produce a weather forecast at the end. Depending on the group, I also do past and future, location/point od the compas and inversion. Listening and reading some actual weather forecasts, looking at the criteria for their presentation and class deciding what could be improved in the texts I gave them etc etc, before they start planning their own weather forecast, for which they have lots of resources in their books etc, and they need to make it both good german and professional/attractive for the others. I then get the class to vote on the best effort/german/most professional or something like this and a prize

5. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I have a weather song to the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle" that we sing. The first time through, the words are on the board, then the second time, some of the words are blanked out with the appropriate weather symbols, and the third time all of the weather words are replaced by weather symbols. It's good fun and more able groups could then write their own weather song. Weather forecasts are my usual way of rounding up the activity, much like everyone else!
    PS: www.wetter.de is a useful website for getting the pupils to use authentic vocab.
    <font size="3">Es ist sonnig, es ist sonnig,</font><font size="3">Es ist sch&ouml;n, es ist sch&ouml;n,</font><font size="3">Es ist warm und windig, es ist warm und windig,</font><font size="3">Es ist sch&ouml;n, es ist sch&ouml;n.</font> <font face="Calibri">O! Es regnet, o! Es regnet,</font><font size="3">Es ist schlecht, es ist schlecht,</font><font size="3">Es ist kalt und neblig, es ist kalt und neblig,</font><font size="3">Und es schneit, und es schneit.</font> <font face="Calibri">Es gewittert, es gewittert</font><font size="3">Und es ist sehr frostig,</font><font size="3">Heute ist es wolkig, Heute ist es wolkig,</font> Und bew&ouml;lkt, und bew&ouml;lkt.

6. This is brilliant and I'm going to use it tomorrow - thanks! - but the words seem to go better with the tune of Fr&egrave;re Jacques!

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Also, don't necessarily panic if Y9 look bored, it's their base setting! Don't forget that your aim is to teach them the words and phrases - the exciting stuff will come along with a bit of time, but that shouldn't be what you're aiming for your lessons to be. Focus on establishing a calm environment where pupils respect you, know that you're boss and do what you ask them to do. If you try to make things fun and exciting as your primary aim then all they'll need to say is "don't like this it's boring" (which Y9 will do!) and then you'll be hugely disappointed. There aren't that many ways of teaching the weather in an exciting and relevant way, if I'm frank - you can make it bearable as suggested above, but if they don't like it, tough, move on to the next topic once they've got it.

8. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8y1WEMIyFk - Sesame Street weather forecast in German.

9. Thanks all for your fab ideas! Will let you know how it goes...special thanks to sam_enerve, that video's amazing! Although not sure my Y8s will be old enough to remember Sesame Street...

10. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Silly me. Yes, it's "Frere Jacques", not "Twinkle twinkle". I'm getting mixed up with my song about places in town which uses "Twinkle" as its tune ... !

11. mpillette

mpillette New commenter

To develop text-level work (Ofsted say there isn't enough) + use of authentic resources (Ofsted: ditto) + build a cross-cc angle into the topic (a big feature of the current educational agenda), how about exploring a text about something like 'Why is the sky blue?'. I found such a text recently for French and I am sure a simple web search in German could help you source something. Good luck, Martine

12. How about using the interactive whiteboard: one pupil at the front with a map and weather symbols (preferably several of each, or the "duplicate when clicked" format). Others call out (pre-prepared, depending on level) areas - practises N, S, etc - and weather. Could be adapted into a team competition, awarding points for accuracy/speed/presentation skills/pronunciaiton as appropriate to the group.

13. For lower ability sets, I get them to makeweather mobiles which I then hang in the classroom.

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

Have you got Extra! ?
    The one where the neighbour (sorry - only know it in French) gets a job as a weather presenter and has to dress up for it is a good intro to making your own weather forecast. Is it called something like A star is Born?

15. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Another idea is to bring in a big bag of props (woolly hat, umbrella, flip-flops, torch etc.) and get the pupils to pull something out of the bag and say a weather phrase appropriate to that item. If they wear the items, you can then do a quick-fire recap for the whole class (Wie ist das Wetter bei John? Wie ist das Wetter bei Lisa?) etc., or get the pupils to pass the items around the room and then shout out stopp! and a suitable weather phrase - any pupil whose item corresponds to that phrase gets a point, etc. (I only play this game with smaller groups of primary pupils, but if you know your class it might work with a bigger group!)

16. I use props and put them on myself- no class can resist laughing at the teacher! You should see my mines ;) And then they want to dress up themselves. You can turn it into a race with 2 bags of props- shoult out a phrase and the quickest to put on the correct item wins. (This works well for clothes too)
    I also get them to write and act out a weather forecast and then film them. I think weather is a great topic!

17. I wish I'd seen this earlier as I've just taught weather to my 2 year 8 and my year 9 class, and they also looked bored.....