1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any agency workers self employed who can advise?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by cliveceltic, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Well I have just found out that I am 6 weeks pg with my second. I had my first baby working out of education and therefore have no info regarding mat leave / allowance etc. I was made redundant in march do have been working supply since the last half of the summer term. I have been lucky to get a job til summer for afternoon's PPA cover. I am not contracted and am being paid through the agency. Have been there since half term so AWR s mean I will be paid to scale from February ish. My agency pay me as a freelancer/self employed and I do some other bits of freelance work too. I have not earned enough since April to pay tax or NI either. I was I JSA from April for about 6 weeks or so. So does anyone know where I stand? Thanks in advance.

2. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

I'm really not sure I'm afraid, but didn't want to not respond. Is it worth contacting your union?

3. I would say at the minimum you will be entitled to Maternity Allowance which is payable to those self employed and comes from the govt rather than employer.
    HOWEVER..... You will need a form from your agency to say you aren't entitled to MP through them and when I contacted my agency for this (after months of worrying and chasing paper) they called me back to say I WAS entitled to MP through them and I actually got 6 weeks at 50% of my average weekly pay and then SMP for the other 33 weeks.
    I would say your agency is the first port of call, if you don't get any joy then call into your local job centre.
    Good luck xxx

4. Now that's interesting. Once I am 12 weeks I will tell them and see what they say. It's all a bit tricky as they emit me but made me go self employed for being paid. They are an ok agency but clueless when I have asked about various important things.

Come mid feb I will be paid to scale due to AWR so I am saving the difference from current flat rate and I have got a few other bits of self employed stuff which I will just save. Don't think I'll afford the time off I had last time so will have to see how things go.

Thanks for info.