1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by boro82, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Hi

I've been in my current post since January last year. In that time I've had two lesson observations one was unsatisfactory. I have really suffered with depression connected with bereavement and had a period off lest spring and have been off for two weeks at present. It was suggested that a period of mentoring from a member of another department might help me.

I have decided that I need to cll time on the school but I would like to try and get into primary. I am willing to work voluntarily in order to build up my experience but I want to negotiate my departure from the current post. Would I be better to go back and stay until July or try to get out at perhaps May half term.
    Any advice welcome.
    thanks.

2. Hi

I've been in my current post since January last year. In that time I've had two lesson observations one was unsatisfactory. I have really suffered with depression connected with bereavement and had a period off lest spring and have been off for two weeks at present. It was suggested that a period of mentoring from a member of another department might help me.

I have decided that I need to cll time on the school but I would like to try and get into primary. I am willing to work voluntarily in order to build up my experience but I want to negotiate my departure from the current post. Would I be better to go back and stay until July or try to get out at perhaps May half term.
    Any advice welcome.
    thanks.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

From you post I assume you are secondary now and would like to move to primary?

This isn't going to be hugely encouraging, but it is realistic. There is a huge surplus of primary trained or/and experienced teachers. Schools frequently get 100+ applicants for a post. Someone who is neither trained nor experienced and doesn't have a great teaching record yet is going to find the move incredibly difficult.

I taught in middle schools between secondary and primary and did a total of about 3 years supply in primary, but still found it hard to get a permanent post. I also had a better attendance and teaching record (and yes I do know that is partly down to luck.) There are just more highly trained, yet cheaper teachers around.

If you can afford not to work then leave as soon as your school will release you. Then do lots of voluntary work and/or supply teaching in primary schools. But be prepared for a long time out of permanent employment while you build up a good attendance and teaching record.

Sorry not to be more positive, but I'd hate you to leave your current post thinking it would be straightforward to 'try your hand at primary' from September.

4. Hello Boro82,
    It sounds like you have had a tough time recently, and as a result I would not be surprised that lesson observations didn't go as well as they might. I would suggest taking up the option of mentoring if you can. It is sometimes so beneficial to talk through lessons with someone, and have someone else's opinion. In a good school this is nothing but support and I wouldn't read too much into it being anything else.
    I empathize with you that you want to move on, however, without a good reference this will be difficult. Add into the equation that you have been at the school for a relatively short time.
    I am not going to get into the Primary versus Secondary debate, however, if you think that primary will be 'easier' for you or not as stressful you will be in for a bit of a shock (I know that you didn't say this, but I wanted to put it out there). Have you thought about stepping back from teaching for a short period of time - perhaps being a TA or working in a Nursery. This should give you time to work out what you want to do and get you to a place where you are happy.
    I suppose ultimately it is up to you - just take your time and don't make any rash decisions! Good luck.

5. Hi

Thanks for the advice. I am now thinking of going back after Easter and then handing in my notice to finish in the summer. I want to spend some time making sure I am fully healthy again and then finish the year and start building myself up from September. I am sure that primary will be challenging but so long as I am healthy I feel I will be able to cope with this.