1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any advice you could share with me please?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Grainne09, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I'm hoping someone on here cam give me a bit of advice or point me in the right direction.

Basically the teacher I am working with ( I'm a TA in Year 2) spoke to me this afternoon and said that we will be welcoming 2 new children (twin boys) to the class next week. One child has some behaviour problems, which I'm fine with. However what she did say that this little boy has problem distinguishing his emotions. He doesn't understand that he is angry, scared or crying etc. Basically all she has said is if he is crying we have to say something along the lines of I know you're crying because there are tears in your eyes.........
    And that's it. That's all I was told. I asked if there was a name for this so I could look into the condition a bit more and she said, No there's no name, that's just what I was told.
    Has anyone heard of a condition like this before?? To me it sounds somewhere n the Autistic Spectrum, but I could be very wrong there and way off the mark.

What I'm asking is, does anyone now where I could find anymore information about this, or even have a name or something for it. I don't want this poor child to start crying or something and me not being able to calm him down and help him.

2. jazz2

jazz2 New commenter

There's a condition called Alexithymia which might be what your looking for; but I don't know much about it. It doesn't sound like ASC as the problem for Autistics is generally difficulty understanding the emotions of others, rather their own.

3. Some people on the autistic spectrum do have difficulty confirming their emotional states to others but I think they can understand them-they're just not able to convey them to others. I have worked with a young lady who has severe autism and she will say "Sad, sad!" even when she is giggling. We think that this is because she only ever heard "Are you sad?" when she was growing up. If you think about it, in society generally, we never focus on verbalising when somebody is happy but always verbalise when something is wrong, eg, "Are you sad? Are you upset?" Genuinely having no idea about what emotion you are feeling is very rare but, as Jazz2 mentioned, there is a condition called Alexithymia. As far as I remember (I read an article on it which was linked to on an autism website once), people with this condition cannot associate events with how they are feeling (for example, they know that one of their relatives has died but don't link this with their grief) and often describe themselves as feeling emotionally numb. Hope this helps a bit.