1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Advice Please?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by polly.glot, May 9, 2012.

1. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

I teach AS English Language in a senior independent day school which has a considerable Asian population. One Chinese student, new, oral English sort-of OK, written language terrible.He can write an essay with difficulty, a dictionary and about 4 hours. His father, single parent, drops him at school every morning, then waits for him in the car most days. His father is personable, but evidently is very hard on the boy. He is also very ambitious for him, and wants him to gain entry to one of the Ivy Leagues. I noticed when I was giving him one-one-one help yesterday, that when I raised my hand suddenly to illustrate a point, the boy flinched as if I was about to strike him. I just know that there will be hell to pay when this lad, inevitably, fails his exams. The school is aware of the father-son relationship, but the academics are up to us to sort out. I have reported the problems to the HOY, but nothing much seems to be done. I'm new to teaching AS Language and feel really out of my depth with this. I'm also really worried about my student. Am I being stupid?

2. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

I teach AS English Language in a senior independent day school which has a considerable Asian population. One Chinese student, new, oral English sort-of OK, written language terrible.He can write an essay with difficulty, a dictionary and about 4 hours. His father, single parent, drops him at school every morning, then waits for him in the car most days. His father is personable, but evidently is very hard on the boy. He is also very ambitious for him, and wants him to gain entry to one of the Ivy Leagues. I noticed when I was giving him one-one-one help yesterday, that when I raised my hand suddenly to illustrate a point, the boy flinched as if I was about to strike him. I just know that there will be hell to pay when this lad, inevitably, fails his exams. The school is aware of the father-son relationship, but the academics are up to us to sort out. I have reported the problems to the HOY, but nothing much seems to be done. I'm new to teaching AS Language and feel really out of my depth with this. I'm also really worried about my student. Am I being stupid?

3. If you have any concerns at all, you must report them to whoever deals with child protection. I'd be inclined to get the dad in to discuss the realistic expectations in the course too.

4. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Inform your line manager. Now. In writing. File your copy.