1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any advice? Paternity leave problems for husband!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Ches1, Jan 3, 2012.

1. My husband and I are teachers in the same school - I went into labour on the day before the end of term (I was already on maternity leave) He took the two days off to be with me which were a full day and a half day. he went back in today (the first day back) to make sure his Year 11's were prepared for a GCSE exam next week and was informed by a member of senior staff that his paternity leave had begun on the first day he took off - meaning he had only three days left and that today was being counted as one of them, despite the fact that he had come into work and was teaching. She told him that she had tried to contact him and had laft two messages on his mobile - this was not his number. She had not bothered to phone our home or use the school email to verify. She told him it was his responsibility to make sure the school had the right mobile number - despite the fact that they do and SHE had phoned the wrong one!
    After a meeting with the head teacher and mentioning the NUT she backed down slightly and said that he could have one of my 'labour days' as a personal day but the other was the start of his paternity. Today also was counted as a paternity day despite the fact that he went in and taught for part of it! (The head is a bit of an **** BTW)
    My questions are: can the school just start a teacher's paternity leave on the day the mother goes into labour? I thought that the teacher had an oppportuntiy to say when it would begin within 3 weeks?
    Saying as he went in on the Tuesday and wasd there for half a day and taught his GCSE class, how can this also be counted as paternity leave as he wasnt supporting me in any way while being in school??
    Do the school have the right to make little effort to him and then say that this was good enough considering she phoned a mobile twice and didn't bother to phone our home number OR contact him via the school email?
    Lastly is it worth contacting the NUT about this? I know its only a few days but the head does what she wants and makes her own rules about things - I feel it is unfair and if it worth getting what we are entitled to, then it is worth doing.

Thanks for any advice.

2. My partner works in the private sector but I thought the rules on paternity leave were universal. He had to state when he wanted his paternity leave to start in writing and it could be any time up to our son being six months old. It didn't just start because I went into labour. I'd get in touch with the union.

In addition to the paternity leave he took some more time off under the parental leave scheme. I think this started in April 2011 and lets parents have a number of unpaid weeks off on top of holidays if they have parental responsibility. The extra tie off didn't go down very well with his work but there wasn't a lot they could say. It was unpaid but might be worth you looking into if you want some more time off together?

3. I thought men didnt have to take paternity leave in a 2 week block anyway? Look on the direct gov website because I think teachers just get the legal minimum so the info on there will be correct.

4. Ignore me I'm talking nonsense!!!!!

5. chil

chil New commenter

Ive just been looking at the paternity pack for teachers for my hubby and the dad gets to choose when he starts his paternity leave after the birth of the baby. Not the school. It has to be within 56 days of the baby being born, but aside from that he chooses. Its a pack for teachers in England and not a county one, so unless your school is private or an academy and hes signed up to different rules then thats it, end off. Him going off to support you in labour is probably compassionate leave or the equivalent (not sure what its called as never looked into it, but its to support a sick partner technically..)Hope you sort it. Let us know.

6. Ive just been looking at the paternity pack for teachers for my hubby and the dad gets to choose when he starts his paternity leave after the birth of the baby. Not the school. It has to be within 56 days of the baby being born, but aside from that he chooses. Its a pack for teachers in England and not a county one, so unless your school is private or an academy and hes signed up to different rules then thats it, end off. Him going off to support you in labour is probably compassionate leave or the equivalent (not sure what its called as never looked into it, but its to support a sick partner technically..)Hope you sort it. Let us know.

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Is there an echo ...?

8. That is very weird...chil must have agreed with my post so much they decided to repost it :)

9. Although that would be impossible as my post came after theirs, although I DEFINITELY wrote it. How strange!