1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any advice on my interview lesson would be greatly appreciated. :0)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Ooops i repeated myself twice at the top. lol

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Firstly, well done for coming up with an idea of your own first. If you've thought of it you'll understand so much better where to go with the idea, especially if things go pear-shaped on the day you'll find it easier to adapt.
    Idea sounds very good, though I recommend you write out lesson objectives and success criteia clearly and give a copy of the plan to your observers/ any TAs. I can see opportunities for class work, paired work and a clear plenary.

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

It sounds like a decent lesson to me! For my interview lesson I set my plan out as I did for my PGCE placements, with links to the NC, resources needed and differentiation listed. Perhaps list any questioning you will use, e.g. open or closed.
    Good luck!

4. I think your visual stimulus sounds lovely and that you should get some good ideas for the children. I would think about the purpose of the writing though. Why would they be describing the treasure they have already found? Could the descriptions be used to form part of the treasure hunt? So instead of reporting back on what you found, they could be describing the treasure that will be found at the end of the hunt. eg Follow the trail and you will find...

5. Hi I have a PGCE interview at lsbu do you have any advice for me....I have to do a 5 min presentation, look up educational issues, and discuss in a group and I will also be asked a question on this at my interview..can u help?

6. Thank you for your responses.

I had a think about my lesson and am feeling nsure about it. I have had a complete chance of thought although I am still focusing on describing words.

The basic outline involves beginning the lesson with feely bad and ask one child to come out and feel inside. They have to give clues to the rest of the children about how it feels and the others have to guess what they think it might be. (I'm thinking i might scribe the clues). As there are only 4 children I am going to put them into two pairs and give them a sparkly box each with an item in. They have to look inside their box and write clues describing the item using desribing words. I am going to get them to come out afterwards and read out their clues. The other pair have to guess what is in the box.

This is very basic outline.

Do you think I should get them to write their clues on a whiteboard or on paper?

Any ideas again would be greatly appreciated. :0)

xx

7. I like that idea:)
    For the first activity, not knowing the ability of the children, it might be an idea to have some pictures handy to whip out as as 'choices' to help them narrow down what's in the bag if they don't manage to get it. It can be quite hard to guess a random object through just how it feels, especially if you're not the one feeling it.
    Actually, maybe you could make that a teaching point to demonstrate the more senses you use the better? They could start by just saying how it feels, then add a couple of adjectives about how it looks, smells, sounds etc until the others know what's in the bag? If you pick your objects carefully that could work. Maybe seaweed? Dried leaves? Ice cubes?
    Sparkly box sounds like lots of fun:)

8. Hi, thank you, that's a good idea about the pictures. :)

Do you think I should tell the person who is feeling the object, what the object is before they feel it?
    XX

9. Make sure you use the word adjective, not describing words. Year twos should know what they are. Have 'adjective' written on a word card for them to see and keep pointing to the card every time you say it.

Always open with your objective - today we are going to be thinking of adjectives. Show word card. Does anyone know what an adjective is? Clarify meaning. Ask them to give adjectives to describe a pen, frog, monster etc. Then be very animated when you tell the story. Ask them to clap their hands when they hear you use an adjective, e.g. powdery sand, ugly seaweed, ancient paper. Get up and model how you were walking around and stumbled on the map. Show a photo of the beach etc. When you get to the treasure part, first get them to feel it without looking and find adjectives to describe the feel of it.