1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

any advice on living in mexico city?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by oldbaldy, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Jellys and Kaymiss

I am not sure which school in Mexico City you are applying to so I will restrict my comments to the city and life in Mexico.

I spent eight very happy years in Mexico City, only leaving in July 2008. I have to say that I was never robbed, threatened, kidnapped, mugged or anything else. It's not that I stayed at home every night, on the contrary, I was out a lot and got to know and love the city very much.
    Mexico is in the news a lot at the moment as the government is fighting the drug gangs in various parts of he country. However, the city is quite calm. Remember it is a massive city, somewhere around 20 million people so there are bad areas and some risks. I do know one teacher who took a taxi and was held until midnight so that she could take two lots of money out of the cashpoint. She was released unharmed. However, that is not very common. There are some precautions you should take. Don't take a street taxi at night, don't carry too many valuables etc. Basically, use common sense and you should be fine. It is definitely NOT as dangerous as the media make it out to be.

As regards life there, the city has everything. There is loads to do from art galleries and opera to football and wrestling. Most bands play at least one night there on their world tours and the local music scene is excellent. There is a wide variety of food available from all over the world and to suit all wallets. The opportunities for weekends away are great with the old favourite, Acapulco, just five hours away. It doesn't feel like a huge city most of the time, rather like a collection of towns, each with their own squares and centres. School salaries are not huge there. The one with the coloured doors pays a little better than the others. You probably will not save very much but if you don't have a mortgage to pay or are not too worried about saving for a couple of years then I would say this is definitely an interesting option.

Mexican people are mostly very warm and friendly. You will most likely make friends there and have a great time.
    Pollution is a problem and if you are asthmatic it is probably not the best place for you to go. Having said that, Mumbai where I now live is a damn sight worse!

To summarise, I would say that it is worth exploring, it has its rough edges but I wouldn't describe it as dangerous at all. There is tons to do and teachers are highly respected (if not amazingly well-paid) in Mexico. I would say go for it.

I hope this helps
  2. Thanks for the advice, it is very helpful. It is good to have a balanced view from someone who has lived there. Starting to get excited again about the prospect of living and working there!
  3. tica

tica New commenter

If your reasons for wanting to work overseas include wanting a real cultural experience with the opportunity to visit wonderful places, learn a new language and teach great kids, go for Mexico. You won't regret it.
  4. Do you know anything at all about Chapelmounthain School? I have an interview there next week, any info much appreciated! Thanks.