1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any advice on job prospects?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Millianni, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I have been flicking through the forums and reading the TES, and I'm starting to get a sinking feeling about the PGCE course I want to do.
    I've worked very, very hard to get a place and I know this is the career I want. However, I don't think I can afford to train (there's no bursary for primary PGCE now) and take out a loan to cover my costs, then not get a paid teaching post afterwards.

So I am looking for a little honest advice, what are the job prospects like for Primary NQTs/Teachers?
    At the moment I live in the South-west of England but I would be moving up to Newcastle-Upon-Tyne to train and hopefully find employment afterwards, does anyone out there know what the prospects are like up in Newcastle?

I've done a quick Google search on primary teaching posts in Newcastle but all that came up were supply adverts, maybe this is the wrong time of year for jobs to be advertised? Or are there very few?

I've read some heart-breaking posts from people who gave up jobs (as I will) and worked really hard to get on a teaching course, then couldn't find work.
    My heart is telling me to go for it. I've had such positive feedback in my teaching experiences and I know that it's a career I would be so good at given the chance, but I just can't afford to get further in debt with no hope of a job afterwards, so my head is saying to reconsider. There isn't any other job I want to do, but is it better to stay in a job you don't really like to keep food on the table?

Any thoughts on this matter gratefully received.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I'm Secondary and couldn't get work in the SW (I'm not NQT but the point is that there were very few vacancies). Now in the SE, there are many more vacancies but, of course, many more applicants too. Nevertheless, I found no trouble in getting interviews here and a post.
    I understand primary is more competitive but there are plenty of primary and secondary posts advertised now for September and I'm sure there will be through to April/May. After that, there are fewer - heads have recruited for planned retirements etc and the summer term is mostly replacing last minute resignations.
    Maternity covers and other long term temporary posts come up throughout the year and some schools will be looking for people now to cover until September if they are without a teacher this term. I would say that if you are not seeing suitable (permanent) vacancies in the next few weeks, you are looking at the wrong area and would suggest looking at other parts of the country.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Most vacancies appear in summer term. Opportunities for NQTs in the North East are generally scarcer than in Midlands and towards London. The difficult is we are trying to predict a situation over a year in advance and no one can really assess the impact of recession, cutbacks etc.. Generally you will find that areas where the population is expanding and new schools are opening are more likely to have teaching opportunities.

4. Thank you all for the advice,

It's been very helpful to hear what the situation is really like, so if I decide to accept the PGCE place then as least I'll go into it with my eyes open and not expecting to walk straight into a permanent post afterwards, and that I may need to look further afield.

5. Our careers expert John Howson has written an article giving the lowdown on the teaching market for 2011. He's also got advice on how to maximise your chances of getting a job.
    Read it now - the verdict on the jobs market
    Best wishes
    Gail

6. Hello all,

I am going to train as a secondary art teacher in London and wonder if anyone can give an update on the job situation at the moment?

Thanks

7. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

A search on the TES jobs engine shows there are currently 13 vacancies for art/design teachers in London.

Personally, I'd not be spending whatever a PGCE costs these days, nor go through the hell of teacher training in the hope of entering a "market" like that.

8. Yes, and out of these 13 vacancies, there are 2 suitable for NQTs. BUT: Modern Languages, which is supposed to be a priority subject, also has just 2 vacancies for NQTs in London. So I'm not sure if I would be better off doing a different subject.

PaulDG, Why wouldn't you become a teacher today? Is it because of the cost/debt, the harsh reality of teaching or because there is no guarantee of a job at the end of training?

9. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I didn't say I wouldn't become a teacher today, I meant I wouldn't become an art teacher today.

I think anyone spending whatever it costs to do teacher training who's not training for a shortage subject should be doing something else with their time (and money)

However...

Teaching in a school that doesn't suit you is hell-on-earth. You can be made suicidal (I do not exaggerate) when you are forced to act against your own sense of "self".

So, before starting training, take a good look at what's there, and what you think you will be comfortable doing.

If you want to work in a "challenging" school, then I salute you but be certain you have actually seen what this really means, don't assume you'll "enjoy the challenge" and that you'll get your sense of self worth from "doing good" or "putting something back" (unless those sentiments define you).

If you want to work in a leafy suburban grammar school (or good independent), be aware they can afford to be very choosy about who they take on so, you need to have a first class education and look very good on paper to have a realistic chance of an interview, let alone actually get the job.

Teaching in all types of school can be incredibly rewarding and it can be soul-destroying. The difference is about you as much as it is about the school.

Do the research. Visit the kinds of schools you think you'd like to work in. Make sure the sort of school you're likely to work in is "you".

Then do the training.

10. The difference in schools I observed in was shocking and of course I hope to get a place as an NQT in one that I like. I'm just not sure what the prospect is to find a job at all because, for example, out of the two subjects I'd be eligible to train as a teacher in - MFL, which is a shortage subject, and Art & Design - both have the same number of vacancies for NQTs in London: just 2!

In terms of my subject, my education seems alright on paper and all I can do now is work hard for my PGCE and become a good teacher in practice.

Thanks for your advice. It is very difficult to know and I think like anyone who is training to become a teacher, I hope to find work afterwards. But reading of unemployed teachers not being able to find work is saddening and disheartening.

This pretty much sums up how I feel..

11. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

And how is an article about the job market in 2011 going to help in September 2014? Apart from which, a lot of John's work was based around posts advertised in the TES, which gives a skewed perspective particularly on primary where schools tend not to advertise in the TES...

12. I couldn't agree with PaulDG more here:

If you're prepared to up stick and move to the northeast from the southwest, then there's nothing to stop you from moving elsewhere after you've completed your teacher training. There is little in the job market where I originally come from (East Anglia), hence my move further south to complete my PGCE and then find work.

Teacher training offers 2-3 placement schools, which will contrast the other(s) in some way shape or form. My first placement school was an inner city suburb, whilst my second placement school was in a middle-class small city in southern England.

I hated the first placement school, because of timetabling/mentoring/curriculum issues (on my part), whilst the second one was a lot more organised and despite being the longer (in theory more stressful placement), I actually felt calmer and productive.

My first NQT school I left at Easter, and then did 4 months of supply whilst I found my current post, where I completed my NQT year in December.

When you're on your PGCE course, read through job adverts and the school OFSTED reports, and try and get a visit in. If it feels right, then apply.

If you want to be a teacher, then you'll find work, and it's easier to move around once you're employed.

You can't predict the future, but it is better to be prepared.

Best wishes.

13. Can I just point out that the post from Gail was left in 2011. Gail has now left TES.

James

14. It's really encouraging to read about your experiences.

And there are already a lot more jobs being advertised. The recruitment season seems to have kicked off.

Congratulations! Plus it sounds like you've landed in a nice school.

If anyone has a link to an article about the job market in 2014 (+) please let us know : )

15. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Have a look at the Good Teacher Training Guide 2013 on the University of Buckingham website. Remember the majority of induction posts will not begin to be advertised until Easter with summer term the busy period

16. Finally had time to have a thorough look at the guide. Very helpful, thanks!