1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any advice on handing in notice!?!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by richard12345, Sep 10, 2010.

1. I realise we are only at the end of week 1 but I was wondering if any of you helpful people out there could just give me the lowdown on what would happen if I really can't hack this job and decide to leave? I'm an NQT on a permanent contract which started Sept 1st. I have heard something about you have to give a half terms notice if you want to leave but is there any way I could leave before that if I really felt like I couldn't carry on? I just want to know what my options are.
    Thanks

2. If you give notice between now and 31st Oct, you can finish at Christmas. After end of Oct, you can give notice and leave at Easter. You can leave earlier by negotiating with your headteacher. But don't do it!
    Talk to your mentor. Make a list of things that you're struggling with and rank them. Talk to your mentor or head of department and try to find ways of making life easier for yourself by dealing with the top five. What is making you feel like this?

3. Thankyou for your reply. I just think the enormity of the whole situation and all of the responsibility is just too much. Im totally out of my comfort zone and have 0 self confidence in myself and my abilitites. I keep thinking that I just want to go back to my old job again and regain a life! I broke down on my mentor on wednesday and she is lovely and really supportive but there is only so much sympathy they will give me if I keep going in there sobbing every day. Im pleased to know that I can hand my notice in any time up until Oct 31st. But if I carry on the way I have been this week then my health is seriously going to deteriorate! I don't know if I will be able to wait til then to hand it in.

4. Oh by the way, it makes me feel better knowing if I really hated it, I could try to negotiate leaving before Christmas.

Thanks again :)

5. What year group(s) or subjects?
    Lessons? Discipline? What is getting you down?

6. Hi
    The job can be overwhelming and it can leave people emotionally drained and confused. But do give it time to settle - like anything new it does take time for you to get used to your new role, responsibilities and workplace/people.
    Take advice from the mentor and focus on your teaching and the children. Other things will begin to fall into place. Think of it this way. You are suffering from what children experience when they move from primary to secondary school. It takes time.
    Resignations have to be in by Oct 31st for a Christams leave as stated. But try not to focus on that - focus on your transition from student to teacher.
    James

7. Thanks for your replies. Im in a year 2 class, with only 80 or so kids in the school. Part of me feels as though I can't actually be bothered to do any planning or prep for lessons etc, even though I know I actually will. I just feel like it is all a bit much and far more demanding than I envisaged. I hope it will get easier but I am constantly thinking roll on Christmas when I can leave. My old boss also offered me my old job back last night after telling her how I am feeling so I at least know I have options should I need them. If it got so bad though that I couldn't wait until Christmas, I would just have to try to negotiate leaving earlier.The children are lovely, bar 3 or four who have behaviour issues, albeit not bad ones, but it is just the whole responsibility and pressure of it all. I don't know if I can last much longer.

8. This is not personal to your situation but because I have noticed in my brief flit through the forum that your problem seems alarmingly common, doesn't the training course in any way prepare people for the reality of full-time teaching? It seems a serious oversight.

9. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

I think considering the amount of NQTs and the amount of people who are struggling, it seems to be a small proportion. I'm an NQT myself and have had no problems so far. But I do think that some course providers do not prepare their trainees enough for the reality of teaching in general and the reality of teaching in some tough comprehensives. I have known many trainees was "protected" too much by their university. For example when they can't cope in a normal schools, they would be swapped to nice private or grammar schools. Now they get a job in a normal schools and they struggle so much, it makes me wonder why they went into teaching in the first place. Was that because they belived in that TDA advert or the financial security or the holiday? I have met many people who went for primary because "the kids are so cute" and they think it will be easier to teach small kids.
    Sorry for the rant, it is not directed to the OP but just to add to what Lyliofthefield was saying.

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

How big is your class, then?

11. Should have added to my last post that there is also the teacher support network which you could contact for help and advice.
    http://teachersupport.info/
    James

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The official figures are 40% leave within three years which is a huge proportion!

13. The contract is not one they can hold you too. They will not take you to court or sue you. You can explain to your Head that:
    • you cannot cope
    • you do not want to take advantage by going off sick with stress
    • the situation is such that you cannot serve your notice period
    • therefore you would like to resign with his/her blessing with immediate effect, but will wait until a supply teacher is obtained provided that it within a week/fortnight/month max.
    Explain in your resignation letter that you realise the employer has a duty of care and that they have exercised that duty appropriately and sympathetically and that the school environment is a good and supportive one, but that you feel that this is not the career for you.

14. Thankyou Blackpepper, that has really helped me feel less trapped. I sometimes feel on these forums that people (obviously not yourself as you have been incredibly helpful) just have to get some negative comments in. Yes i suppose I should have been more prepared for the stress of the job, but unfortunately, I wasn't. Its not a bad thing, i was never going to know if teaching is for me unless I tried it! I will obviously stick with it for as long as my health allows, but I am so relieved to know that I wouldn't have to stick it out for a whole half term if I couldn't manage it.
    Thanks though Blackpepper, you have cheered me up.
    :)

15. I'm sorry to hear you feel this bad. I had a similar time in the last placement of my training and felt like I needed an escape route. My husband said to leave it all because he had never seen somebody he loved being destroyed so much. I carried on, knowing that I had his support if I wanted to stop at any time, and I set myself a target so, even now, I'm just aiming to complete my NQT year before jacking in. It might sound daft to some people, but it makes me feel a bit safer and less likely to crack up. Fortunately, I am enjoying my work but get anxious about the amount of planning which I don't seem to be able to keep up with. I do feel a damn sight better though, and I'm starting to think about settling in and staying put. If you know that your escape route is available at any moment, you might find yourself being less anxious and able to settle down a bit. Just remember: emotional and mental health is a biggie, and no job in the world is worth that much upset. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

16. Thankyou so much Facetious, im very grateful for your comments. Im pleased you got through your last placement and it's good to hear I am not the only one who has felt like this. It is good to get other people's opinions and hear experiences similar to my own and I do appreciate how lucky I am to even have a job. The school I am in is fantastic so I am lucky in many ways. I am going to give it until half term and if things are no better then I will have no choice but to leave as I don't think it is worth it. Thanks again x

17. That sounds like a great plan. Just think that, no matter what happens, you'll be enjoying Christmas as you will either be happy teaching or relieved it's over. Keep us posted.

18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Do remember that if you 'jump ship' (i.e. don't work your notice) the school will only pay you up to the day you jumped.

19. Hey there,

I had to reply to you because you seem to be in exactly the same situation as me. I loved my training year, threw myself into it and was so happy! I've moved to a new area on my own to start my NQT job and I hate it. Everyone is asking 'what did I expect' when I give my reasons for not liking it. I just feel completely out of my depth. I feel like I've been dropped in it with no support. The responsibility is huge. I don't know if I want a life where I'm planning every evening etc. I too have looked into the options of giving up now and handing in notice. Its so tough. I don't really have any advice as I have no idea what I'm going to do, but I just wanted you to know you're not alone. The bit you wrote about not being bothered to do any planning really struck a chord with me - that's how I feel. It sounds terrible, but i've lost all motivation.

20. Hey,
    I've not posted for ages but you remind me of myself. I resigned within a couple of months of starting my NQT year and have never looked back. In fact everytime I come on here I am reminded of how good my decision was. I was prepared for the reality of teaching as I had worked in a school for nearly three years and gained QTS via the GTP in an outstanding school. I had doubts throughout the training although I was told I was an excellent teacher. When I decided I wanted out absolutly everyone tried to talk me out of it, but I am glad that I listened only to myself. I must admit that my health had a lot to do with my leaving as the job was causing me a crippling amount of stress. My Head was so kind and told me to sign of sick for the notice period and I was paid in full for over two months.
    Of course I was scared when I quit, but I have never looked back. In fact I am now doing things that would never have been possible had I continued teaching. The biggest gift for me was having my week nights and weekends back to do with whatever I wanted. I work less now, and although I earn less than I would have should I have continued - I wouldn't go back for anything.
    I was a good teacher and loved the children, but the demands of the job are such that it is my belief that you have to be extremly dedicated.
    Do what you feel is right and don't feel your life will be over should you leave. If you can stay - then do, but like I said if you cannot take it and you feel your health is suffering then go. No job is worth it - life is short.
    Good luck.
    Cat. :)