1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any advice for tutoring a last chance resit group the different cultures poems

Discussion in 'English' started by Melancholie, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Melancholie

Melancholie New commenter

I've been asked to tutor five resit Y11s an hour a week for their last chance at getting the C on AQA A. I've been asked to cover the poetry and two other colleagues are doing an hour a week on writing and reading.
    This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that two of them have studied Cluster 1 and the other three have studied Cluster 2.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? I've already done two sessions on grouping the poems and structuring an answer and I have ten sessions left to do.
    Thanks in advance if you can help!

2. Melancholie

I've been asked to tutor five resit Y11s an hour a week for their last chance at getting the C on AQA A. I've been asked to cover the poetry and two other colleagues are doing an hour a week on writing and reading.
    This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that two of them have studied Cluster 1 and the other three have studied Cluster 2.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? I've already done two sessions on grouping the poems and structuring an answer and I have ten sessions left to do.
    Thanks in advance if you can help!

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

It won't hurt them to know all the poems. How about getting each student to teach two poems to the group and have them explain links? They could then look at past papers and plan answers to both questions.

4. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Some key points to train them to write for the exams (sad but necessary I fear):
    They do NOT need to write about the whole of the poem(s). Train them to select 2 or 3 lines or short pairs/groups of lines from each poem and write a whole paragraph about just those few lines. BAN them from writing about the poem chronologically - it just leads to them telling the story.
    Don't get hung up on them using the correct names of techniques - nice if they can remember them but it's much more important to be able to talk about the effect of the technique rather than what it's called.
    Try and build some confidence in them to express their own ideas and responses to the poems rather than desperately trying t remember everything they've been "taught" about them. A nice task I once did with a lower ability group was to get them to paint a picture in response to "Island Man" - using colours to express the difference between London and the Caribbean island.
    Do a balloon debate where each student has to be respnsible for a poem and argue why it should not be thrown out of the anthology.
    Keep up the good work on connections and get them to do lots of planning for answers focusing on links and differences, - just planning the answer rather than writing it.
    Tricky that you have both clusters to deal with but not insurmountable. Sell it to them as a positive thing - they may have a choice of questions if they have covered several poems from each cluster. Get those who have studied Cluster 1 to "teach" some of those poems to the others and vice versa. If you don't try to slavishly plough through teaching every poem, you probably have time to let them investigate a number from each cluster.
    Hope this helps - Good luck.[​IMG]

5. Melancholie

Thank you both [​IMG]

6. How about a five minute slot at the end of each lesson where you do that WHo Am I? game? They have to be a character from one of the poems and the others have to ask questions which only have a yes/no/don't know answer.
    Download the poems, choose two and mix up the lines so they have to sort them out with no peeking at the anthology, working against the clock.