1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any advice for painful BF?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by truelove, May 9, 2011.

1. Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice regarding BF?
    I have been breastfeeding my little girl for 8 weeks and apart from a few problems with sore nipples and engorgement early on it has been going well.
    Then a few days ago my girl seemed to have a growth spurt and demanded feeding about every hour through the day.......since then at night I am getting woken up with really bad pain due to by breasts being so full and sorry if this is too mich information but they are leaking alot too :(
    I have been having to dream feed baby regardless of if she needs it or not just to take some of the pressure off. I have had to do this 2 - 3 times each night.
    What I would like to know is has anyone else experienced this around 8 weeks? Is it ok to dream feed this much? I don't want to get her into a habit of feeding frequently through the night. Or should I try expressing a bit? I don't tend to express as I don't know how much to take each time.
    Any advice would be apreciated thanks

2. I would express - gradually your supply will balance so that you produce what your LO needs. When expressing I just did it until I didn't feel like I was going to pop anymore. My LO did this re feeding in the day - it will get better.

3. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

How's it going now OP? I expressed a lot with my first child and I honestly think it caused more problems than it helped although it wasn't too bad. As other have said, the less you express the better as baby is just demanding the milk it requires. I am feeding baby number two now and have barely expressed at all with this one - and had no problems although I am suffering a bit at night at the moment as she is dropping a night feed but milk is still there.

good luck, it's a tricky process but gets a lot easier - La Leche League are very helpful?